Styling Barchetta replacement trim

Currently reading:
Styling Barchetta replacement trim

I am thinking of replacing the trim behind the seats as the original covering of the bulkhead is now warped. Does anyone have any advice on materials or how to apply.

I was thinking of using a foam backed vinyl of some sort similar to what is already there.

you mean that big plate behind seats? why not to retrim in same material as seats? also put some additional pockets. and on inner part of place put some material to reduce noise.

idea - saddle bags:
bag.jpg

depends what material will you use. if will use some fabric then yes, also bolts will hold that once you put plate back.

this is good sound proof material, not sure English name we call it "Filc". It's like sponge and keep it away from water. because when soaked it stinks like old socks that wear tennis player (6-4, 3-6, 6-7 (7), 7-6 (3), 59-59).

filc_grama_250x500.JPG

or Dynamat and/or Brax paste, soundaband... most of them are self adhesive, you have to blow them with hot air to attach.

Dymat is the best material to use. Self adhesive. I actually removed the metal bulkhead plate as that weighs a lot, now I am building a light weight cover. May Carbon Fibre it and leave it like that.

(y)

Dymat is the best material to use. Self adhesive. I actually removed the metal bulkhead plate as that weighs a lot, now I am building a light weight cover. May Carbon Fibre it and leave it like that.

(y)

Isn't that bulkhead metal plate supposed to be a firewall / protection of the cabin from the fuel tank?

:eek:

well, if fuel tank explode i think even original plate will not help you. also, fuel tank is most secured part on car. it has to be really bad crash to broke that tank. same with LPG... in any case if explode it will release you from suffering or send you to the moon.

Wasn't thinking of an explosion but a localised fire in that area.

What a good idea.... dual ejector seats. There are soem really horrible pictures of 'B's in massive crushing crashes on the net and an ejector seat sounds attractive.

BUT for one thing - the police & insurance company will say you were not in control of the car at the time of the crash and you get prosecuted for driving and have to pay all you own costs and possibly those of the other parties. You can't win in motoring life!

Petrol is not as combustable as you think. You can drop it onto a hot Manafold and it will not catch light. It requires a spark. Nothing round the tank produces a spark. This plate therfore offers very little safty. It's more to stop any vapours going into the cabin. And it also creates a solid wall to protect the pipes and tank. If your not putting anything behind the seats all will be fine.

(y)

I hope....... No picture for "fingers crossed"

Sunny UK........... Hood down down down......:slayer:

Petrol is not as combustable as you think. You can drop it onto a hot Manafold and it will not catch light. It requires a spark. Nothing round the tank produces a spark. This plate therfore offers very little safty. It's more to stop any vapours going into the cabin. And it also creates a solid wall to protect the pipes and tank. If your not putting anything behind the seats all will be fine.

(y)

Well call me a spoil sport but I would not trust any insurance company not to deem the plate removal as a "structural modification" and rule against you in any furture insurance claim. And remember it is not your insurance company who can complain. If an accident/claim is not your fault then the insurance assessor of the insurance company you are making a claim against can and will use ANY means to reduce their payout or not pay out at all.

Make no mistake all insurance companies willingly exchange data. This works in their favour and to your loss/detriment.

If you have ever been present when an insurance assessor crawls over your car then you will know what I mean.

I had my Uno, parked off road and shunted by a works wagon out of control that left the road, crossed the pavement, entered my drive and then sped across the neighbours garden.

The independant insurance assessor tested everything. Brakes, lights, tyres etc. all to a formal "crib sheet". No credance or lattitude was given to the fact thay my vehicle was off road, parked on private property and legally did not have to be taxed, insured, MOT'd or road worthy.

They are like robots. Record all (including go faster stripes, flashy alloys, other non standard bits and required road legal matters, even if the car is not on the road). This is then all handed over to the insurance companies for them to do with as they wish.

And for one minute don't think your insurance company will be on your side. Even if the accident/claim was not your fault, if you having anything non standard/undeclaired about your car then most insurance companies will wash their hands of you. You lied / hid risk detail from them so they do not want you on their books. Also any legal cover cover your policy has will be null and void.

Then that favorite insurance question when doing a new insurance quote... "have you ever had insurance declined/refuse, subject to special conditions, later withdrawn.... etc. etc.". The last insurance saga is already loaded against you when you go for that new quote. You will probalby only ever find out you were 'marked' when you have to make a future claim and by then it is too late. They have had your money for 'n' years and then claim you are unisured for incorrect details and leave you to the police for driving without insurance.

Signed, Doom & Gloom Merchant

Last edited:
Thanks Nick, All my mods are declaired.

:sleep:

No problem. What I want everybody to do for their own sake, legal and finacial long term security is to step back and look at what they are doing as though they were insuring the car themselves against the massive medical and other costs involved in a serious accident. Repair and replacement costs are a drop in the ocean to the costs that can be involved and not even considered by the car owner.

What I have personally found over the years is that insurance companies I have delt with, in formal written and not verbal conservation, are actually quite driver/owner friendly. Tell the the facts and reasons and they will in most cases be on your side.

Typical example. Driver A changes his exhuast system that possibly puts 10bhp on his car. Driver B chips his car to plus 50 bhp. Both have accidents and claim. As neither disclosed their changes then the insurance company has to treat each equally. i.e. they each modified their cars with informing the insurance company. Both car owners have breached the terms of their insurance policy. 10bhp to 1000bhp will make no difference to the insurance company. Both are potentially unisured. A court of law may deem the 10bhp person a little silly and naieve but the 1000bhp chap deliberately neglectful.

Two distinct and separate outcomes. 1) insurance refuses to pay in both cases, 2) driver A is cautioned and driver B heavily fined or jailed. However if the driver A had spoken/written to his insurance company they they will probably have deemed that +10bhp was noise, perfectly OK and not even charged a premium increase.

I've personally processed all sorts of car mods such as: exhausts, air intake systems, brake upgrades, racing harnesses, strut braces, lower & stiffened suspensions, electical mods (e.g. safety cutt-offs), oil coolers, wheels and tyre changes etc. WITH NO insurance hikes what so ever. I'm not alone.

There is actually good news here. Whilst the insurance industry tightens up on the "letter of policy" those of us who play by the rules are I believe being more fairly treated and those who ignore the rules are being more heavily penalised.

IMHO this is how it should be.

Last edited:
Back