General Barchetta Newbie

Currently reading:
General Barchetta Newbie

RUSSI46

Barchetta Newbie
Hiya Everyone, Just Joined The Forum Having Purchased A Sexy Little Black Boat And Have A Couple Of Little Niggles I Would Like To Sort Out And Just Want To See If Anyone Has Had Same Probs.firstly My Speedo Fluctuates,sometimes Too Fast,sometimes Too Slow And Sometimes Correct,is This More Likely To Be The Speedo Itself Or The Sensor In The Gearbox ? Secondly,my Clock Doesnt Light Up Even Though The Bulb Is Working,you Can Just About Make It Out At Night But Impossible To See In The Day. I Phoned My Local Fiat Dealer Who Quoted Me £62 For A New Clock,flippin Bonkers !! Dont Know If Anyone Has A Spare For Sale Or Knows Where You Can Get Them Cheaper. Also Is Magnatec Oil Ok To Use As Its Easier To Get Than Selenia ? And Finally My Barchetta Has Only Done 43,000 Miles But Im Just About To Change The Cambelt As Its Been 4 Years Since It Was Done, I See Most People Change The Variator At The Same Time But I Was Going To Leave Mine As Theres Nothing Wrong With It,your Opinons ?

Hi RUSSI46 and welcome (y)

If you have no joy finding a mint clock I have one that works fine but one of the mounting clips is broken. It will fits OK if you use a washer so its no big problem. You can have it for £7 plus £3 postage as its just sitting in my parts bin and will never get used. I can get you a pic if you want to see it.

I have been using Magnatec on my B for almost three years now (y) so no problems using it.

As you have just got your car I would change the Variator at the same time, I say this as the life of the Variator will depend on how often the oil was changed and what version of Variator it is. I am about to do my cam belt as well but will not be changing the Variator as my B gets an oil change every six-nine months so no point changing the Variator as its bathed in fresh new oil its whole life hehehe.

Speedo fluctuating could be a few things like the sensor as you said. SS just removed his clocks so he might know more about what to look for as I have not needed to play around with the dials yet.

Anyway welcome to the Fiat forum and I hope you join in with our random woffling. Keep an eye on SS,LRB,KC3 and dont get me started on Mad Matt, doolahrock our out of town boy Robot. All a little :nutter: if you ask me. Then again I think you have to be a little lets say ("different") to own a B. HEHEH (y)
:) :) :)

Last edited:
Hi, and welcome to the forum.(y) :) :D

Its the best place for all the info you need and for havin a good laugth at the crazy banter...

Magnatec is the oil i use for the engine and redline mtl for the gearbox,

cant offer any advice re the clocks though.

Good luck , and post up some pics of your B when you can.

Hi RUSSI46 and welcome (y)

If you have no joy finding a mint clock I have one that works fine but one of the mounting clips is broken. It will fits OK if you use a washer so its no big problem. You can have it for £7 plus £3 postage as its just sitting in my parts bin and will never get used. I can get you a pic if you want to see it.

I have been using Magnatec on my B for almost three years now (y) so no problems using it.

As you have just got your car I would change the Variator at the same time, I say this as the life of the Variator will depend on how often the oil was changed and what version of Variator it is. I am about to do my cam belt as well but will not be changing the Variator as my B gets an oil change every six-nine months so no point changing the Variator as its bathed in fresh new oil its whole life hehehe.

Speedo fluctuating could be a few things like the sensor as you said. SS just removed his clocks so he might know more about what to look for as I have not needed to play around with the dials yet.

Anyway welcome to the Fiat forum and I hope you join in with our random woffling. Keep an eye on SS,LRB,KC3 and dont get me started on Mad Matt, doolahrock our out of town boy Robot. All a little :nutter: if you ask me. Then again I think you have to be a little lets say ("different") to own a B. HEHEH (y)
:) :) :)
HI DOC, THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY, ARE THERE ANY MARKS ON THE FRONT OF THE CLOCK AT ALL ? A PIC WOULD BE NICE. NOT BOTHERED ABOUT THE BROKEN CLIP COS HAVING REMOVED THE OTHER ONE I CAN SEE IT WOULD BE EASY ENOUGH TO SECURE IT WITH A WASHER AS YOU SAY BUT WANT ONE THAT LOOKS GOOD FROM THE FRONT IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

Anybody gonna tell Russi where to locate the CapsLock and/or the Capitalise-Each-Word-Button?:eek:

STOP SHOUTING AT US MR RUSSI!!
If you are going to have the clock off Doc then OK but another option is to look out on ebay because quite regularly there appears a clock for a Fiat Uno which is the same as the Barchetta one just in a different housing.
Cannot help with the speedo though, I was going to suggest the cable then remembered that it is electronic:eek:

Last edited:
Hello and welcome RUSSI46 :wave: - welcome to the world of b ownership, what can only be described as a roller-coaster of emotions!!!

When the sun is out and the roof is down there is nowhere better on earth to be (y) , when you are under the car in the freezing cold grazing your knuckles on rusted bolts it feels like the worse place on earth!! :cry:

I had the same issue with the clock and managed to source one off eBay - this guy is breaking a couple of b's at the moment, if you need any parts it may be worth dropping him a line.........

[email protected]

Speedo - 'fraid I could only speculate that you may have a dodgy spindle in the head until - otherwise no idea!!

If I were you I would change the variator and rollers, the last thing that you want is to change the cam belt and then get a variator noise in the next 5k!!! The one thing that I have learnt in the 6 moonths that I have had my b is not to cut corners!!

Where about's in the world do you hail from?

Hello and welcome RUSSI46 :wave: - welcome to the world of b ownership, what can only be described as a roller-coaster of emotions!!!

When the sun is out and the roof is down there is nowhere better on earth to be (y) , when you are under the car in the freezing cold grazing your knuckles on rusted bolts it feels like the worse place on earth!! :cry:

I had the same issue with the clock and managed to source one off eBay - this guy is breaking a couple of b's at the moment, if you need any parts it may be worth dropping him a line.........

[email protected]

Speedo - 'fraid I could only speculate that you may have a dodgy spindle in the head until - otherwise no idea!!

If I were you I would change the variator and rollers, the last thing that you want is to change the cam belt and then get a variator noise in the next 5k!!! The one thing that I have learnt in the 6 moonths that I have had my b is not to cut corners!!

Where about's in the world do you hail from?
Hi mate , thanks for the info on the breaker i've sent him an email. Think your car looks stunning in red,very pretty. I live in Braintree Essex by the way.:)

Hi mate , thanks for the info on the breaker i've sent him an email. Think your car looks stunning in red,very pretty. I live in Braintree Essex by the way.:)

Thank you sir!! I like the solid colours on the b - just a personal preference, not a reason to turn this thread into a colour war like all of the others!!

Back