Technical Barchetta Coolant Drain

Currently reading:
Technical Barchetta Coolant Drain

yawataboy

Hi, I have 1997 Barchetta, and want to change engine coolant liquid, but it looks complicated works are needed to release the steel pin on the radiator hose to get the liquid out of the radiator.

Probably, correct drain way is to pull the radiator hose from the radiator, and this hose is located beneath the radiator, at a little bit right hand side of the car from center.
But this radiator hose has a strongly tied steel pin which is not easily accessible because there are two tubes before it, and this makes the releasing pin works very difficult.

Do I need to take off the Cross Rail which is located and supporting radiator and guarding the bottom side of car? But this Cross Rail has probably 10-12 screws to release, and this work takes a little bit of long time.

I can't believe that this is the correct way to do the drain works for coolant liquid, because this work should be more simple for car users.

Can anyone advise me on how to drain the coolant liquid correctly and fast.

There seems no information source available for this non user friendly process in web.

Hi, I have 1997 Barchetta, and want to change engine coolant liquid, but it looks complicated works are needed to release the steel pin on the radiator hose to get the liquid out of the radiator.

Probably, correct drain way is to pull the radiator hose from the radiator, and this hose is located beneath the radiator, at a little bit right hand side of the car from center.
But this radiator hose has a strongly tied steel pin which is not easily accessible because there are two tubes before it, and this makes the releasing pin works very difficult.

Do I need to take off the Cross Rail which is located and supporting radiator and guarding the bottom side of car? But this Cross Rail has probably 10-12 screws to release, and this work takes a little bit of long time.

I can't believe that this is the correct way to do the drain works for coolant liquid, because this work should be more simple for car users.

Can anyone advise me on how to drain the coolant liquid correctly and fast.

There seems no information source available for this non user friendly process in web.
The factory fitted hose clip you describe is single use , Cut it off and use a reuseable hose clip when refitting.

As jackwhoo says the bottom radiator hose is a factory fit, single fit "crimp" hose clamp.

Getting these off a a bit of a pain. You will see (if it is what is normally fitted) the hose band and a rather ugly looking loop of fairly think circular crimp. What I do is to insert a strong spike/bradawl type bar/point into the inner core of the crimp, support the hose/radiator outlet and then lever and twist to open up the crimp. I takes several careful goes before the crimp is removed. The the hose band can be opened up.

I do not bother with the other close coupled and flat ratchet course adjuster as there are no easy points to pick the joint apart.

You can use a Dremel to cut through the back of the crimp ring.

In all methods be careful not to damage the hose.

There is no need to touch the radiator lower support cross member. All the is required here is to hose off all the radiator fluid that will inevitably spill onto it.

Back