Technical banging knocking from rear of car underside?

Currently reading:
Technical banging knocking from rear of car underside?

ok sister is complaining of knocking/banging from underside of rear of punto

iv had a look, and exhaust rubber (as i and you know of) needs replacing, its no worse than last time and it wasnt knocking/banging then, 1st pic below

so kept looking and the passenger side suspension spring at the bottom is missing (its there, but all degraded) the rubber thing, 2nd pic is of the drivers side (its mostly there) 3rd pic is of passenger side where is degraded.

could this cause the banging/knocking, i cant see anything else, its over speed bumps and some corners.

Attachments

• Image651.jpg
    Image651.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Image645.jpg
    Image645.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Image648.jpg
    Image648.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 38
Yeah looks like the rubber on the bottom of the left rear arm needs replacing. Do the right hand one too while you're at it. Might need the top rubbers too.

Also replace that exhaust hanger before the exhaust drops off! I'm no expert on Punto exhausts but isn't it supposed to hang from both the spikes on the bracket?

Hellcat said:
Yeah looks like the rubber on the bottom of the left rear arm needs replacing. Do the right hand one too while you're at it. Might need the top rubbers too.

Also replace that exhaust hanger before the exhaust drops off! I'm no expert on Punto exhausts but isn't it supposed to hang from both the spikes on the bracket?
hmmm maybe lol

and yes it is, its all cracked and snapped, i need to fit a new one

simple to do mate(y) , just watch it when you undo the bolt that the spring dont fly at you!:eek: and dont cross thread the bolt when you put it back in:bang: I found it easier putting a jack under the suspension arm aswell as under the car(y) .

I have had the bump stop (the piece of rubber) lying inside my Punto's spring for 2 years, and has passed the MOT twice.

Take a few photos as you do the job, as I thought it was a big job not a simple one. Ta

My banging noise was caused by slack in the rear subframe bushes, cured for £39 by fitting two "helper" bushers around the original ones

beau_4076 said:
do you have to remove the springs? may as well get lower ones while im at it lol

But that would only lower the rear of the car and that would look well wierd!

ten quid. 10 minutes per side. Get it done and get that car safe.

The front ones would be much harder to change, the rears are easy peasy.. I could change the shock and spring in 5 mins and 3 of them would be messing around trying to get out and back in the top mount bolt :D

Try the sub frame bushes... The one in the picture looks shot to ribbons. these are a common part for failure, replace all 4. I just got mine there getting fitted Monday. If it was a rear arm it is likely the rear end of the car would move under breaking tremendously & independently from the front of the car although any of the three parts maybe possible..... jack up the car & place a crowbar under the rear tyre and lever. Look for movement in any bushes..

Back