General banging from back of my punto sporting.

Currently reading:
General banging from back of my punto sporting.

stu139

hi
sometimes a banging can be heard from the back end of my x reg punto sporting,only had the car 2 weeks.it seems worse at slower speeds over bumps or when i set off from standstill a bit faster.
i have had new shocks on the car and the springs are in good nick.
it sounds like metal on metal.
when i go fast over bumps , you don't seem to hear nothing.
gets worse though when i have rear seat passengers.
when i had the new shocks fitted the bloke at ATS jacked the car up and tried the back wheels for any play but he said they were solid.
what can the banging be?
at my wits end.
anybody help
stu

hi
wouldnt there be a bit of play in the wheel if it was the wheel bearings?
both wheels are solid with no play .
if it's the bushes are they easy to fit?
do they cost a lot?
stu

Wow, I have exactly the same fault. Just waiting for Luke... to have a look at it.

Argh... I knew I should have flogged it and got the Audi!!!

thought that buying a punto sporting would be a cheap to run nippy car.
how wrong i was !
bit of a difference between punto and a audi?
have you made the wrong choice as well
stu

stu139 said:
hi
wouldnt there be a bit of play in the wheel if it was the wheel bearings?
both wheels are solid with no play .
if it's the bushes are they easy to fit?
do they cost a lot?
stu

my front wheel has no play, but the bearing's definately gone... when i go over rough ground it bangs like (something not really suitable on here;) ) but it passed it's MOT last week with it.

Bushes I'm not so sure on but iirc you have to replace the whole swingarms, not just bushes (i may stand corrected on this one - but that's what it's like on the mk1)

stu139 said:
thought that buying a punto sporting would be a cheap to run nippy car.
how wrong i was !
bit of a difference between punto and a audi?
have you made the wrong choice as well
stu

once any problems are erased, then in comparison with other similar cars they are cheap to run, they're usually quite good on the MPG (unless the accellerator pedal is thought of as a switch - either on or off) the insurance is reasonable, and it's a fun car to drive (and looks good in yellow) lol

thanks for the advice
trouble is ,all this cost is mounting, giving me headache.
stu

agree to somepoint
mines in that really nice bright blue colour.
looks really well
but up to now a lot dearer to run than my old 2.0 ghia mondeo.
do you think i should persevere ?

absolutely, you've obviously put a lot into the car so far, you should at least reap some of the reward...

I enjoy every minute of driving my car, even when it breaks... (I just swear a little bit)

What's the point of driving a car you don't enjoy, but own because there are no running costs?

I'd rather own a car I enjoy driving, even if it does cost a bit to keep it on the road...

Exhaust on the rear suspension beam! Its a common problem, my car is lowered 50mm and I had this problem with every exhaust including the original until I got a supersprint which give ths beam lots of room.

The exhaust after the manifold comes as 1 piece from the factory then when a section is replaced it is cut around the side of the spare wheel well. Check to see if you have this cut, if so you probably need to ajust the position of the backbox slightly, make sure the loop in the exhaust to go over the beam is at its highest point instead of diagonal.

If you dont have the cut then try and string the exhaust up higher to the car body.

yeah check the exhaust out first that is such a common thing although it s not cut near the spare wheel well the cut is before the axle. apart from that he is right the back box sometimes catch reare axle especially if it not origianl part and get worse with people in car or when pulling away sharply as back end goes down. it can be adjusted easily. you can check your self its catching. wait for engine to be cold cos you dont want to burn ya hand lol. then lay on ground you will be able to see back box. you should be able to get your hand between back box and axle with plenty of room. if there is small amount fingers with that could be problem. also if it was like my car you may actually see marks on the axle. obviously you can get this checked at zaust place also.

hope fullythis is your problem as super cheap fix :) free by friendly gargae or £5 from not so friendl lol

thanks a lot lanciamad and the fishdude, you are 2 top fellaz !
it was the exhaust !
i pulled it away from the axle by tieing string around the back box hook and the chassis hook and pulled it tight.
hey presto, no more banging !
before i did the adjustment i could just get my little finger between the exhaust and the axle, so there wasn't really a very big gap.
would you advise taking it to an exhaust centre or a local good friend mechanic for the allterations.
or is it the wrong type of exhuast fitted?
once again thanks to 2 top fellaz !
stu

anyone with a ramp should be able to sort it for you, basically they have to undo the bolts that join the parts up pull back box backl and then redo bolts up. you should be bale to slide ya hand in there easily when adjusted properly. only thing you have to watch ut for is pulling to far back then the tip can rattle on bumper when warm. just keep an eye on guy thats doing it for you shoudnlt take morethan 5 mins to sort. just tell him what needs doing

theres a rubber mount at back also may be stretched.

Is k&n filter worth the extra money over a standard 1?

is it worth shelling out £30 odd pounds for a k&n panel filter than a standard one?
will the difference be noticable?
or is it only noticable with an induction kit fitted?
stu

If its a banging then its possibly the exhaust, if its a knocking which you can feel in the handling then its the bushes.

Bushes being so common they stock them in the parts bin at fiat.

You can visually see either, the bushes being the black bits of rubber, if they look perished. The exhaust is held up on rubber hangers so you can push it around physically and rough doing it, if it hits something then it needs to be taken off and fitted again properly by someone.

Back