Technical BAH!! Diff Leak

Currently reading:
Technical BAH!! Diff Leak

Well i've been noticing puddles under the car when its been running

when hot its faster as it cools it gets slower

Anyway - it turns out its my O/s Drive Shaft where it goes into the diff

Now i've recently done the clutch and put a recon box in, it didnt leak at first, but now it is

I thought it was the driveshaft not been in ""enough"" but that isn't the case i think

The recon box was new everything (bearings seals etc) So i dont know whats going on...

Ziggy

was driveshaft circlip ok?

Yes i believe so - it was hard to get out that one, it took a good prize to get it out from the old gearbox - was a swine to get back into this gearbox, took some effort by tapping the driveshaft back in - Possible i haven't knocked it in enough still?

loosing about 15-20ml on the cool down process, let alone what im loosing while driving

Over a few days loosing about 100ml to 300ml

Ziggy

maybe by the fact you had to hammer it in you damaged the lip seal?
is this the side with the seal in the mounting case or does the seal go straight onto the gearbox housing

right i've made a little movement on todays leaky-ness

As i've found when hot = leaks more
cold = less
Thats obvious due to viscosity

But the drive shaft seems to leak more when it moves out " a fraction"

So i've gently tapped it back in, going for a run to get it hot - and doing the tried and tested cardboard leak test

ziggy

it shouldnt move in an out unless the circlip is buggered or missing.

some reconditioners do little more than clean or paint the outside of a box or engine and just pray it lasts until their warranty is up

its painted on the outside yea
its quiet and smooth tho, so its better then what my old box was

Do most Auto-factors stock the seal i wonder? as if the seal is dead and i need a new one, i cant go without car

Ziggy

Well i spent 3hrs because i was cold - going slow - had a few unexpected problems on the 10th of march replacing the seal

Had to replace a bottom ball joint cover (no problem had a spare)
A Bolt shiered in the cold
Fixed that with a temporary one
Drive Shaft came out way to easily..... like hand easily

replaced the diff seal - smeared hylomar blue around the outside and carefully refitted the cup which didn't really want to go back in - but it has

Great i thought - a day of no leaking fluid after several runs i thought i was in the clear

Oh no.... its leaking again!

Same place - O/S drive shaft.....

Whats next then?
Re-seal with Setting sealant?
Not sure if the drive shaft has wondered out again?

Ramp time next.....

Ziggy

Back