Technical bad vibs

Currently reading:
Technical bad vibs

wirly

i am getting a slight vibration in steering wheel above 70 had car tracking and whel balancing done (both way out) but car still doing it any suggestions????

Has the car been sat for any length of time? Tyres soon develop a
'flat spot' if a car is left standing in one position !

Does the vibration disappear once you go over a certain speed? One of my
old minis used to do that. Never did discover what it was.

My SX does exactly the same. (you should never drive over 70 anyway...) When i was driving to kent, it started. I have yet to get my tracking and balancing done. another suggestion has been to make sure your tyre pressures are equal, if that has not already been done. I shot the A24 (to Worthing from Horsham) and got up to 95 (SX top speed 83), trying to go round the bends at that speed with vibs was difficult i tell thee...

Adam

I suspect you mean "vibes" :D

Anyhoo, mine has had vibes at 70+ since I bought it about 18 mnths ago. Managed to reduce the problem by getting the tracking done but it continued to get worse gradually. I recently replaced the front shocks and the problem is gone.

FWIW if you have an elderly Cinq (50k-ish) you can transform the handling by fitting new shocks all round. I am talking about standard fitment from a good manufacturer, not necessarily 'uprated' shocks. This way you can have handling and decent ride quality. It's the best £120 you'll ever spend! :)

tyre pressures can cause it. mine was vibrating like hell and pulling to the left. checked today and i was running 5psi less on one tyre!

tyres are a bugger. I had some Dunlops on my Cinq SX and one had bubbled and that caused my car to vibrate at anyhting over 30.

Back