General Bad Car Weeks. Your Story!

Currently reading:
General Bad Car Weeks. Your Story!

So Mine.

Last Month car was serviced all was fine with no advisory's. Last week out of the blue car wouldn't start. I get that sorted, Starter Motor £232.68. This week MOT is due, which after a service and £232.68 of work you think it would fly through. NOPE :bang: Failed, with the N/S/F Suspension Lower Ball Joint had excessive play.

Ok ... At this point I'm thinking are they tryna con me, so i got a mate to take the old part off to look and the whole thing was crumbled almost. The ball joint was actually dislodged altogether. Which makes me wonder if Fiat even chekced this on the FULL servce the month previous? Hmmm. So I get a mate with a mate to get me a part £68.50 and my mate fitted it for me.

All in all been a wierd and costly week with the Stilo seems its been a fantastic car to own.

Anyone else with horror weeks wanna share.....:bang:

Attachments

• 5455_118950802659_676297659_2209885_7701805_n.jpg
    5455_118950802659_676297659_2209885_7701805_n.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 35
So Mine.

Last Month car was serviced all was fine with no advisory's. Last week out of the blue car wouldn't start. I get that sorted, Starter Motor £232.68. This week MOT is due, which after a service and £232.68 of work you think it would fly through. NOPE :bang: Failed, with the N/S/F Suspension Lower Ball Joint had excessive play.

Ok ... At this point I'm thinking are they tryna con me, so i got a mate to take the old part off to look and the whole thing was crumbled almost. The ball joint was actually dislodged altogether. Which makes me wonder if Fiat even chekced this on the FULL servce the month previous? Hmmm. So I get a mate with a mate to get me a part £68.50 and my mate fitted it for me.

All in all been a wierd and costly week with the Stilo seems its been a fantastic car to own.

Anyone else with horror weeks wanna share.....:bang:

I'd have done the servicing and starter motor myself TBH, dont ignore the part you played in making it a bad Stilo week. DIY FTW (y)

I would have but i'm a IT Tech, not a mechanic lol. I'd love to be able to know how to do it all though.

I'm a Media analyst but still manage our home fleet of 4 cars now lol!

2 Fiats, a Seat Ibiza and a Suzuki Swift that luckily is still under warranty.

Sweet. Well I'm just a noob when it comes to fixing cars, and wouldnt know where to start tbh. Lucky for all you peeps, you do :D

Sweet. Well I'm just a noob when it comes to fixing cars, and wouldnt know where to start tbh. Lucky for all you peeps, you do :D

It's not luck, we get stuck in. The bait is money saving, plus you get all the help of the great un-washed on this Forum for free if you get stuck, I've known members pop round and help complete strangers before now... and they become new friends... really DIY is worth it! (y)

dont know about a week, but month would be more accurate.
bought our multiwagon knowing the rear bushes were not good.
done the job, realised some idiot had fitted the wong springs to the car, and it had a broken exhaust mount.
sorted that, thought was all ok with the world, and went on holiday a couple of weeks later,
on the way back of an uneventful break the clutch decided to let go in 10miles of tail backs, lucky for us it was still working but very very rough!.
replaced the clutch the following day then the cam belt a week later.
now its the exhaust being fixed as the flex joint has failed.
roy

I've got two-month period, but not with the Stilo.

Fiat Ritmo - ohyeah. From one foot in the grave to death within two months.

1. Started the car. Fairly well after 7 seconds on starter.
2. Loud bang from underneath. Hm.
3. Pull the handbrake to see what the fuzz was about.
4. Handbrake rips off - not just the wire, but the whole damn thing.
5. Drive a bit to park at a flat level.
6. Brake to stop, and my feet get flooded with water from the boot (regular, so we had some sort of spoon/shovel that you use in small wooden boats that constantly take in water).
7. Exhaust had snapped underneath, so 50% is ripped out as it was nearly corroded away.
8. Front bearings dried out so I had to zig-zag constantly to prevent an insane yelling noise from the hubs.
9. Drove to a garage to get the exhaust replaced.
10. On the garage lift the front windshield broke several places and the chassis creaked - after a little peek, it showed that the car bent due to corrosion.
11. It was then decided not to fix the exhaust.
12. Front wipers suddenly worked only on parklights and when the dash was occationally hit.
13. Heater worked on full heat or no heat/air at all.
14. Fuse box caught fire - very interresting, so a couple of relays was removed and soldered. Ooops.
15. Drivers seat flattened out, and got hold in place by a wooden pole from the back seat. Seats were loose as they was bolted through the floor which was corroded. Drilled footwells to drain daily water.
16. Clutch died, so the car was started in 1st gear and choked at every red light. Gear changes was done without clutch according to engine speed at zero torque (can also be done in a Stilo).
17. Bonnet plastic lever broke, and when fixed, the bonnet lock (at the front) cracked in the weld.
18. Windscreen washer cable snapped in the roof trim, so all fluid soaked the roof and dripped down the pillars. The reservoir was in the boot...
19. When driving uphill the handbrake light came on. As there were no handbrake there had to be something else. A rear brake drum cylinder had gone, so fluid was pumped out every time I tried to brake. When home the car didn't brake at all, and with no handbrake or clutch it was pretty interresting to park...
20. Scrapyard.

But it really was a hot hatch. The Lancia Delta is built on it.

Last edited:
Well mine hasn't been all that bad, But Oil and filter change £47, Tracking £28 then found out the drivers side wishbone has failed on the ball joint, So ordered both sides and set off disc pads for the front Relieved of £171.93, So took to garage and replaced the drivers side one, £31.27 labour and tracking done again £28 quid.

Just waiting for the rain to stop to do the brake pads.

Not quite a horror story but expensive anyways, but all is rosy in the MW camp.

Back