General back on the road again (almost )

Currently reading:
General back on the road again (almost )

ilan

The original,Black box . after a period of five years is now almost back on the road Starting life as a little 899cinq she gave Blackbox few years service as his first car , till about 6 years ago. when she was sold as a project to Purf who spent some time and I dare say money rebuilding her as a 1.2 8 valve but Like many projects she somehow never quite got there . Fortunatly we brought her back and finished the repairs. she passed the mot today and promtly started to play up a bit The engine managment light is on ?all the time but seems to run ok she cut out briefly on the way home but started again so some tinkering to do yet and the abarth skirts need fitting , and a major paint job at sometime :):D

Well done! Good to hear its still going. I have to apologise for the paint... somehow I thought it acceptable to paint it in the dark with a roller. The paint was not suited to this. I attempted an mot with everything fitted and on a 15 mile journey to and from the test the only problem was going round a roundabout? It let out a little puff of steam and drove on. I thought it may have been water sitting somewhere. It's got an 866 cam and 32mm throttle body btw. I completed a couple of thousand miles with that engine in my previous cinq 'The Italian flag' and it was great. I had fitted a new hg, head bolts, water pump, cam belt and tensioner.

Strange to hear about it only a day after i buy a seicento after a couple of years away from centos.

DSC00083.jpg

It always needed 14" wheels with the abarth kit... all the best with it.

Last edited:
You might want to check the valve clearances. I can't remember if i did them properly when I fitted the 866 cam. I think i just swapped them around. Although it drove fine for a while. It may now be an issue because the ecu is fresh. Possibly why the engine management light is on???

Just an idea?

Last edited:
Also how old is the fuel? Some of Its probably been in there a long time, maybe years if it hasn't been drained!

Hi thanks for the info
Its had a bit of work done since you had it we did a bit of welding, fitted new fuel tank , all new brake lines ,hoses and master cyl , new polybushes, new rad . but its thanks to you that its still on the road , as when we swapped it it was going to scrap !.

I had two sets at one point and still have the ones from the Italian Flag which I had fitted to my X1/9 recently.
They are great looking wheels but a tad heavy, strong though I weighed them recently and they weigh approx 3.5kg (per wheel) more than the stock X1/9 Tron wheels which are likely similar weight to the original Cinq wheels -20kg including tyres IIRC?. so a set of 4 revolutions with 10mm spacers weighs almost the same as 5 cinq wheels...

Last edited:
Hi no I did change the clocks back as the fuel guage read high, I also sorted out the horn push so It works on the steering wheel , still need to look at the heater blower , and wire in the fog lights great fun to drive , :):D

Back