Technical Auxiliary Drive Shaft question...

Currently reading:
Technical Auxiliary Drive Shaft question...

Crispin

'74 124 Spider. OHC 1800. I'm pulling the head from a seized engine so I don't have the luxury of aligning marks. Where do I set the Aux. Drive pulley when I put it back together? Thanks, C.

The auxilliary pulley on the old Twin Cam engines was timmed with a bolt-on metal jig with a pointer that rested in the small hole in the auxilliary pulley.

I used to do them with a protractor and set them at 33° North/East.

Here's a diagram of the 2000 engine which I believe is the same.

Dave

Attachments

• TC CamBelt.jpg
    TC CamBelt.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 140
Early T/C auxilliary shafts had a lobe to operate a lever type mechanical fuel pump fitted in the front of the block. If the shaft was timed incorrectly, the lobe could collide with the number 2 con-rod.

I believe the shaft was changed later for a lobeless one but I always thought it best practice to set it at 33° NE anyway, just in case.

Dave.

Useful info, thanks Dave!

Now I may be missing something obvious here - I didn't think it would matter where the auxiliary pulley was timed to, since the distributor is driven off the camshaft? Mine's a 2L but maybe a particular combination of odd parts.

-Alex
the USA 2.0 crank will kick the auxillary shaft out side of the block if you don't set the timing right.

Back