Aux cable into Grande Punto HU?

Currently reading:
Aux cable into Grande Punto HU?

Petr0

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on here - I've been browsing the forums a bit over the last week, looking at the guides for what I want to do - that is, to wire in a jack lead for my mp3 player into the HU of my 09 Grande Punto.

I found various threads explaining how to do this. The difference with mine, as I saw a couple of people also mention, is that there is already something plugged into the AUX inputs of the HU - most likely something to do with Blue&Me. If you're wondering why I can't use Blue&Me; I've never really liked using it whilst driving anyway, but more importantly, I just replaced my (dead) ipod with a Zune, which, ironically, doesn't work with B&M, even though it's based on Windows Mobile, I believe.

So, I bought a cable from eBay, got some HU keys from Halfords (and was encouraged not to keep them in the car, as policemen find it suspicious :p). Initially I tried putting the cable alongside the Blue&Me cable, going into what I think are the CD changer inputs - which I had seen someone suggest, somewhere - but, no joy. I then removed the B&M cable and tried plugging the jack cable into the AUX inputs (after a bit of fiddling with a craft knife), but no progress. Either way, if I press CD, or the source button on the wheel, it says "NO SOURCE AVAILABLE".

Edit: Just realised, not sure if I pointed out, the other end of the cable is plugged into my zune, which was playing whilst testing it - so, there was a signal in the cable, if that makes a difference (if aux maybe doesn't show if there's no signal in the aux input).

So... any ideas? (Thanks for reading)

Wiring sticker on the HU:
dsc05652z.jpg

Attempt 1:
dsc05650q.jpg

Attempt 2:
dsc05653y.jpg

The message given, whichever side it's plugged into, and whether you press CD or Source. I should maybe point out, it says the same when the (grey) Blue&Me cable is plugged in.
dsc05654c.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, had another go and made some progress. If I replace the Blue&Me aux input with the jack cable, with the mp3 player playing, I can hear the music - any time I do something with the Blue&Me controls which would cause the "Angry Blue&Me Woman" to speak. So, it seems to me that the aux inputs themselves are fine; but the Blue&Me is still controlling whether they are used or not, which would explain the lack of AUX upon pressing the source button.

However, wiring isn't my strong point. Here's the label from the HU, which I think is a Grundig F199: (The only pins in use in the box containing AUX are the three AUX pins themselves, so I can only assume AUx activation is controlled by pins in the top box in the image...)

13052010109.jpg

I think this the wiring for that radio, although I'm not certain. The third one down looks bang on though.

http: //www.selfmadehifi.de/hifi/kfz-hu.htm

Can anyone help me work out which pins to override so I can control when the aux inputs are being used?

Hey. I was in the same situation a few weeks ago, I was looking to gain a 3.5mm jack input, mainly for a donated Pure DAB Highway I was given, but in reality anything that can be plugged in.

In the end I have basically put a DPDT toggle switch in line between the blue&me and the HU, off one input I have the blue&me and the other is the 3.5mm jack. Unfortunately this then requires a manual switch to change sources when the HU is set to Media Player, as well as a usb source plugged in with mp3 content "playing" (but not being output to the HU).

I guess this will also mean that the bluetooth will not function properly (no sound output) without the switch being switched back to the blue&me, though I haven't checked this - not something I use often at all.

The only issue I have now is some alternator whine, I'm hoping finding a common/better earth will solve this when I get round to it.

And just for clarification, the only connectors I'm using are the AUX R/L/earth ones at the bottom right of the bottom socket in the picture above.

Thanks very much for posting! That's the option I'll likely have to settle for until I'm back home for the summer (I'm at uni at the moment) - until then, I'll just ignore the B&M altogether, but set my old iPod "playing", so I can listen to the Zune through the Aux.

Obviously the ideal case is to make it so it can play music through the AUX, but still play B&M over that when required, although this is obviously the trickiest result to aim for. I'd settle for just being able to turn the AUX on and off with a switch. A friend at home has done a fair bit of sound-system modding before, and has some ideas - if I get it working, I'll let you know!

Back