Automatic Organ Donation

Currently reading:
Automatic Organ Donation

Totally agree with it but people need to be made aware of the implications of such a scheme and it needs to be made easy for people to opt out if they wish.

These days organ donation is a catch all term used to cover everything from lungs and kidneys to skin bone nerve and any other tissue type they care to find a use for, and not all of it can be used/transplanted into other people as such ends up used in research this is why people need to be informed.

When I was at university only one thing ever sent a shudder down my spine and that was the words "harvest" and no body liked working in the theatre where it was done

Totally agree with it but people need to be made aware of the implications of such a scheme and it needs to be made easy for people to opt out if they wish.

These days organ donation is a catch all term used to cover everything from lungs and kidneys to skin bone nerve and any other tissue type they care to find a use for, and not all of it can be used/transplanted into other people as such ends up used in research this is why people need to be informed.

When I was at university only one thing ever sent a shudder down my spine and that was the words "harvest" and no body liked working in the theatre where it was done

harvest - shudders me too.....

There are two ways you can donate organs, you can either be killed outright, or you can be deemed dead I,e brain dead even though your body may still be alive heart beating etc.

If you are dead they have limited time to 'harvest' the organs to then disseminate them out to where they are needed....

If 'brain dead' the body is kept alive in the intensive care ward till the 'harvest team' arrives their is not so much of a rush as the organs don't detioriate like they do with a kadava then the body is taken into theatre for the 'harvest' and that person officially dies on the operating table as the organs and tissue are removed and packed off.

It is every bit as horrible as it sounds.

Back