Audio Upgrade - Grande Punto

Currently reading:
Audio Upgrade - Grande Punto

Londonrichie

My lease car through work (1.4 T-Jet Grande Punto) is due in the next 2 weeks so I'm after some advice! Unfortunately, the car they have sourced does not have the stereo upgrade & subwoofer I had originally ordered so... what are my options for upgrade? considering I do not really want to damage the interiors at all.

Is it simple to install a sub without damaging anything?

Is a subwoofer even worth it considering (from what I have read) the head unit and speakers are very poor quality?

What components would people recommend?

Thanks!

should be able to install sub and amp in boot without damaging anything. replacing front speakers and headunit won't damage anything either as long as you choose speakers to fit in the same places so check mounting depths. wiring them up to an amp in the boot should be no trouble either. just need to make sure amps are secure as you don't want to be screwing them onto the back of the seats or anything. maybe onto the sub box?

ok sounds promising.

What are the mounting depths / size of the front speakers? Or is this information listed in the manual?

Does anyone have any reccommendations for front speakers of a similar size?

Thanks

ok thats saves me alot of hassle really. Ill just go with a decent headunit and sub. Friend can install sub for me so thats no problem!

Any reccommendations? or good current deals?

Id be willing to spend £250-£300ish for the lot. (Amp / sub / headunit)

for that budget i would be looking at an alpine at £150 max including the £15 for the fascia and then a JBL sub amp and wiring kit package for £150 aswell. JBL is best budget stuff you can get.

right straight to the point.

Would i get better sound quality out of a 60 pound 8"/10" JBL sub in comparison to a 60 pound 12"/15" JBL sub ??

And what does the size of the speaker effect/affect ??

cheers

eh :S

How can i say without knowing what the specs are of the sub and what amp you will be using to power them.

8" subs will offer just midbass, 10" are more punchy, 12" are the best compromise between stuff, 15" are crap if you listen to quick hard hitting bass.

8" subs will offer just midbass, 10" are more punchy, 12" are the best compromise between stuff, 15" are crap if you listen to quick hard hitting bass.

yeah i know wot you mean, so many different ones. But i have a decent knowledge about sensitivity, frequency, RMS etc.. to know what speakers/sub are good for the money.

erm so in general if i was to start of with one sub in my car id be better off to get a 12" JBL sub as i listen to many different genres of music, yes ?

yes. You need to decide on budget etc first though.

yeah, well im going to buy t all seperate i think, i like the JBL GTO1202D sub, looking at the spec it is wicked value for the money and what i want. then the amp is the not so specific as to what i want, then obviously the wiring kit.
then im going to do a cut-out in my boot (not sure where yet) so that the sub is nicely fiited in rather than a big sub box.
Im budgeting for about 180-200 for the sub/amp/wiring but i will probably end up upgraded the speakers in the car aswell so about 280.

Actually saying this, in the GP, do you know of any smart, neat place where the amp cud be put and what is the best way to mount/fix it in ???

You will need to work out proper box size if you are going to build you own box. I just screwed my amp to the back of my seat.

yeah thats wot i was thinking for the amp, then for the sub i want to do a cut-out in the in the boot coverer (if you know what i mean) but then i think the ppl will be able to see it as they walked past, I will just have to put the fabric over the top like what a mate done. however it would look good if it was showing.

Got another question, Got any recommendations for Amps from around the 60 - 90 pound mark ?? brands and a bit of info on what to look at for spec would be nice mate. (y)

Dont Put a sub in your parcel shelf it will look crap and will sound crap as for your budget you wont get a good free air sub so you will need it to be in a proper box. I cant pick an amp if i dont know specs of the sub as you need to match them all properly to each others power ratings

Dont Put a sub in your parcel shelf it will look crap and will sound crap as for your budget you wont get a good free air sub so you will need it to be in a proper box. I cant pick an amp if i dont know specs of the sub as you need to match them all properly to each others power ratings

oh ok, but i really do not want a big horrible ugly box in the back of my car :mad:, But i understand what your saying, budget subs need to be in a proper sub box. fair enough so i think ill have to get a all in one package and have done with it.

just out of interest how much will my budget have to be for the free air sub individually ?? and what websites do you have so i can get/look at them ??

www.caraudiodirect.co.uk is where i buy all my stuff from. Dont bother looking at free air subs just stick to boxed stuff. You can have a box and build it into a proper boot build if you want to. And when i say box as long as its a proper sealed or ported enclosure to the subs specifications then it will be fine and having a box will be alot better looking than opening your boot and seeing a great big sub magnet hanging there with wires running off to the boot. That and the sub would vibrate the parcel shelf like a bastard and would get highly annoying

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
www.caraudiodirect.co.uk is where i buy all my stuff from.That and the sub would vibrate the parcel shelf like a bastard and would get highly annoying

ok yeah cheers mate ..
but me mates one is well neat and dont vibrate the shelf at all and no wires or anything and i know how he sort of did it aswell .. Ill have to find out more bout exactly what subs he used and how he did it all.

Well do it then but it wont sound anywhere near as good as a sub in a properly ported box.

Fair enough kool, it all opinions at the end of the day .. ive got boxing bags and training equipment to get in the boot so i cnt have a big box in the back taking up all the room.

Back