General At Wits End!

Currently reading:
General At Wits End!

Cathi

Hi there,

Been lurking here a little while but this is my first post! :)

I have had a Punto 1.2 Y reg (basic model, I think) 45k since February (was 38k). Since then I've:

Head gasket
Cam Kit
Water Pump
All new tyres
New exhaust
New clutch

My wiper linkage has just failed and my suspension needs some attention (front MacPherson Struts?). My sump and CV joint also need attention.

I've obviously spent loads and know I could address these remaining problems for a few hundred more and the car might never give me another day's trouble. Some tell me to get rid whilst others try to reassure me that the worst of it has been addressed.

What are your thoughts and experiences of recurrence of these problems.

Thanks. I used to live in Greece and we had a little Fiat Uno. It didn't rust a bit for the same reasons. Our cooker and everything has rusted since we bought it over - that's Italian, too! :D

The car is at the funny age when a few things go at the same time but once sorted should be OK.

I bought a Corsa a few years ago and in the first 9 months replaced the exhaust, tyres, pad + discs and had to get the head gasket, sump gasket and rocker box gasket changed. Cost about £700. I sold the car - due to coming into some money and buying something better - to my brother-in-law and he only had to pay for a backbox during 3 MOTs. I bought it back off him and had to pay £150 to get it through the next MOT.

If you are happy with your car then I would suggest keeping it and getting the work done. There is no guarantee that you won't have to spend more in the near future, but there is also no guarantee that any replacement car wouldn't have other problems that need sorting either.

tyres. exhaust and clutch dont really count, there usual wear and tear items.

you can get replacement wiper linkage from ebay for £30 (upgraded better one).

sumps a cheap thing and as said, steel does rust! so its expected.

duno about cv joint but seems pretty usual for a 6/7 yr old car.

Hi Cathi, Welcome to the forum:)

I would keep it now you have done all that work. Re the sump, when you get a new one get some Castrol high melting point grease from Halfords. Get your arm under there and smother it with a layer of grease ( wearing a rubber glove)
Do that every couple of years and you can forget about it rusting.

In fact you could do this now with your rusty sump as long as its not perforated and weeping oil.

Regards(y)

Back