General Arking on a 1.6 weekend

Currently reading:
General Arking on a 1.6 weekend

bodders

The car started running like a bag of nails and getting judder when trying to accelerate when the engine is hot. So, I have replaced the ignition coil as there was a crack on the old one but still had the same problem. I looked under the bonnet in the dark and there was arking going on across the leads so replaced them, still got same problem, so replaced the plugs and it is now running quite a bit better but there is still a very small amount of arking on the leads at the coil side.

I was on holiday when this started and was very badly advised by the garage that I had to stop at. I now realise that I didn't need the coil (and was overcharged for it in the 1st place at £99 + VAT) when I could have bought one from Motorworld for £60.

Has anyone got any ideas as I am really fed up now and almost £200 worse off.

so you can see the sparks jumping from the leads near the coil? where are they jumping into? what part?

take a simple view, electricity is always taking the easiest route to earth. so whats making it so difficult for the current to get from the plugs to the head? surely with your new parts the problem must be with the current not wanting to pass into the head after passing through the plug. that could be a main earth strap problem so i'd check that first.

Back