Technical ARGH MK1 Punto STILL overheating

Currently reading:
Technical ARGH MK1 Punto STILL overheating

after my last thread i replaced the thermo switch and the car was running fine again , not overheating at all , that was until i was back to work and took the motorway . it was fine on my way to work approx 10 miles motorway it was on the way back i was about 2 miles from home about to come off the m23 , it was cold so i had the heating on and i noticed the heating went cold and then i looked and a second after the red light was back on

pulled over and there was a bit of smoke but not too much and once it cooled down i checked the coolant and that had not dropped ,

i managed to get it home but there was a slight rattling noise coming from the engine , i dont know where . ive been so busy with overtime at work its been dark when i leave and dark when i come back that i have not been able to take a look , im going to check the it on firday and im actually hoping its just the headgasket as i have one here and can change it myself

any other ideas ? or what to look for ?( i will check the coolant as soon as i have some light )

its driving me mad and im out of ideas again

Last edited:
When you say smoke do you mean steam ? It could be your water pump has gone or perhaps you have a problem with your thermostat..........water in your oil (mayonaise colour looking oil), oil in your coolant or bubbles in the coolant may indicate you HG has gone.

Last edited:
yea steam mate , thermostat was changed and was also thinking water pump ,

i have a head gasket i may just buy a water pump and a cam belt while im at it and change the whole lot

will deffo check for the mayo type stuff in the oil but have not seen a minute of daylight outside work so far this week , ( sad i know ) will get a chance on friday

Back