Argh! Cursor and gravity!!

Currently reading:
Argh! Cursor and gravity!!

The Pc at work had this problem before, so we bought a new one, now its going the same!! Ive googled it, and cant seem to find a fix :(

The cursor drops to the bottom of the screen and stays there, you can fight against and push it all the way back up, but as soon as you stop pushing it, it drops all the way back down :(

When you reboot the pc it appears at the bottom of the screen and not in the middle like usual.

We have tried 3 different mice, each one different style and quality, each in several diff usb ports.

Then sometimes, like just now, it will just work. Completely randomly. Then in say 10 mins time, it will start all over again :(

Please help!!

What type of mice are you using? I'll bet it's optical and it doesn't like the mouse mat / surface you are using :confused:

Try using the mouse on a plain sheet of A4 and see what happens ;)

sounds like a rather annoying virus

reminds me of one my friend had which would randomly play michael jackson songs :ROFLMAO:

ive done 2 different scans and nothing has came up - unless its very sneaky :(

What type of mice are you using? I'll bet it's optical and it doesn't like the mouse mat / surface you are using :confused:

I wish it was that simple, as i said, weve tried 3 diff types of mouse, corded and corless, with different mouse mats and without. nadda.

I would bet on that too. On the right (wrong) surface mice can do this. But if you've tried three mice ..... have you tried booting up without a mouse or keyboard attached? Does the cursor show up in the middle then?

but are the mice optical or ball type?

Optical, coulndt find a ball one. One cheap one, one middle of the range, and one expensive. 2 corded and 1 cordless.
Tried on flat wooden desk, plain paper, plastic covered mouse mat, and matt foam type mouse mat. and all the usb ports with all of the above combinations.

I really dont think its hardware related tbh :(

right now its creeping around the screen, still controllable but very twitchy

I would bet on that too. On the right (wrong) surface mice can do this. But if you've tried three mice ..... have you tried booting up without a mouse or keyboard attached? Does the cursor show up in the middle then?

yup, its still at the bottom :(

ive uninstalled, reinstalled them all, changed them while the compter is running, when its off, etc

have you checked the settings for mouse keys (control panel - accesability - mouse tab)?

What other devices do you have plugged into the PC? (I am thinking receipt printer or similar or control for till drawer)

do you have a bluetooth adapter for the PC - this may be detecting something else and trying to use it as a mouse.

Sounds like a software problem then.

Yeah thats what i was thinking :(

Not for a PC sorry, you haven't got more than 1 mouse attached or anything daft like that have you ?

nope - thanks anyway :)

have you checked the settings for mouse keys (control panel - accesability - mouse tab)?

What other devices do you have plugged into the PC? (I am thinking receipt printer or similar or control for till drawer)

do you have a bluetooth adapter for the PC - this may be detecting something else and trying to use it as a mouse.

Yup been in at the settings and are all normal ( although didnt know really what i was looking for) what i could do was slow the cursor night down, was a complete pain to move around , but this stopped it from dropping quite as rapidly. (was just the same except much slower)

we dont have any till related things plugged in. Got a mouse, keyboard, printer, speakers, external hard drive, broadband connection and thats about it :(

It doesnt have its oown blue tooth and theres no adapter plugged in.

:(

Is the keyboard wireless?

Was wondering what you were getting at with the keyboard, so unplugged it to see. The minute i unplugged it the cursor stopped dropping and worked as normal!!!

So went and bought a new *corded* keboard, and all is working fine!!!

Thanks for the hint lol, and thanks everyone for thier ideas.

it makes sense in terms of the monitor and keybaord being the only link to the old computer that had the same problem, but makes no sense to me as to why :confused:
:slayer:

(y) I rock at IT :slayer:

I was thinking that the keyboard might have come with a mouse combo - and by not having the mouse connected was doing funny things. Or was picking up a signal from something else on the same frequency.

Last edited:
Back