General Are they all this awful?

Currently reading:
General Are they all this awful?

Thanks for the review! Just one thing. In winter please don't use the handbrake it stucks in every car, because of the ice and cold(not just in the grande punto!)..;)

So, i've had the car for a week and a half now so a more balanced review.

Good points?

Washing it earlier today was a sexual experience. Noticed that under all the dirt it's a similar colour to my Cinqy. Smooth lines and lack of crevices for dirt to hide. If i had more time and was keeping it for an another week or so i'd treat it to a clay bar and some wax. Agree.

The City button. Gets switched on each morning while i maneuver out of the bay parking space. With the car spending 2 or 3 days a week in central London the button is a great treat. (Agree) Shame the turning circle is nothing special . . .

The real time MPG function. I've found that the car only really feels nice (ok? / balanced?) to drive when you're trying to keep this reading >50mpg. Can't get it to drop below 11mpg though. Best i've managed is just over 60mpg @60mph on the M25. Nice.

The stereo_Ok, so i hated it at the start, but a long traffic jam allowed me to explore it and re-program it. Amazing sound from the std set up (however, comparing to my 4" fronts on the cinq) and a fair amount of power. The way it mutes down as you change the station / settings. CD player is too picky for damaged cd's though. What settings you changed it to?

The smoothness of the engine. You can hold it just off the redline in 4th and you wouldn't notice it from any vibes / noises. Hit the limiter and you're reminded that it can rough as hell.

The willingness / robustness of the engine. It's had a hard two weeks. In the minus 5 mornings it'd bounce straight off the limiter from start up. Any car would do this but I wouldn't do it to mine from cold, I mean are you trying to find trouble? (Car got thrashed whenever i discovered a shortcoming - this one was the handbrake that wouldn't release and dragged the rear wheels across the ice).It hasn't used a drop of oil in the thousand miles of hard use though.

The lights are good - However, see note later.

The shortcomings, in no particular order.

The airbox has snapped in half. Probably hitting the limiter at cold wouldn't have helped. It's now floating around the engine bay. Not sure how this happened as there's no flex between the two points where it's (meant to be) bolted (loosely) down. The plus point of this is a nice throaty roar. The downside is a horrid flat spot at 4K when working through the gears. The other downside may be the amount of crap the TB butterfly is getting covered in. Will tack it back together before it goes back. . .

The wonderful way that the boot opens. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned it as a plus point. . . Yesterday someone (on forum) found out what happens when you pop the boot open while keeping the rest of the car locked. -> Keys looked in boot. . . . Poor cheap design. At least make it so the rest of the car unlocks when you pop the boot!

Cumbersome key fob. I know i'd get used to it in time, but fed up of popping the boot when trying to lock / unlock it. I don't really know what to say but... n00b.

Lack of cabin storage. I can easily spend 4 hours a day in a car. Up to 10 hours sometimes. All i want is somewhere to put wallet / phone / blackberry / drink / snacks / cds. What makes this worse is when you look at the amount of space that is wasted between the seats and the door cards. They could have soo easily increased the width of the pockets by a few cms. Or the centre consul area? How handy would it be to have a small thin (net?) pocket next to the footwells?

Following on from the above. The dash. It would have been soo easy to add a tray to the dash that you can just put a phone / pen on while driving. Yuck, why didn't you buy a Yaris or a Corsa. Or a flat spot to put a drink (ones that don't fit in those horrid cup holders - which is most things!) when parked up.

Following on from the above. The sweeping sexy screen. Need arms like a chimpanzee to reach the sat nav. Really struggled to find a spot for it that didn't block my view or was on the passenger side. Sat Nav is for pussies.

12V socket. Lead gets pulled out when you use the handbrake.

Handbrake. Heavy and worse than my Cinq. Sticks when cold. I use mine alot never stuck and it says if you are going to leave the car for 2 weeks or more don't use the handbrake.

Gear shift and cup holders hate each other. How about having one like a Civic or Panda? One out of the dash? Cos they look horrid, cheap and break.

The way things are placed in just the way that they swallow items. Pens and phones down the side of seats. Forever trying to get them out.

The brightness of the main beam light on the dash. Sort of counter productive when you're trying to see down dark lanes. Agree.

Windscreen wipers. Thank you FIAT. Thanks for deciding that you will dictate that once i've used the screen wash you will wipe 7 seconds after i've finished cleaning my screen.

Windscreen jets. Maybe it's just the bog standard one? Having a jet in the middle would work wonders and i wouldn't have the smeared stripe across the windscreen. If this is a budget choice i worry what other tiny things have been removed!

Clutch foot "rest". How high do you want this? Found myself stuffing my size 8's up into the dash next to the steering column to get any "rest". (also allows you to jam the steering and relax on the steering). Other option was to jam my foot under the peddles, or fold my leg back round.

Engine performance. It's 8V 1.2L. However, throttle response is lacking when making progress. Low down torque is also none existent.

Build quality. Maybe it's to keep the weight down, but having given mine a good clean i was shocked about how thin areas of body work were and the damage / bending already sustained.

Road noise. Prob combination of steelies and hard rubber, but it'd clunk and thump over cracks and bumps more so than i'd expect from a mid sized car. Agree.

Oh, almost forgot. Understeer anyone? If your asking me then not anymore :p

Summary

I'd never buy a GP.

I'd recommend one for my mum to pootle around back and forth to the shops though. Something cheap and easy to drive. Cute and curvy. I think this car is the exact opposite to a mummy pootle car.

I want another fiat, but i think i'd have to take a look at the new Bravo. However, wanted a 3-Door.

Hope my traumatic experience is of help to others.

(y)
Lolz in bold

Last edited:
I think you really need to have a go in something higher in the range. I had a 1.2 8v active last week as a hire car, and hated it. Go and test drive a M-Jet or T-Jet Sporting to truly see what a great car the GP is.

P

So, i've had the car for a week and a half now so a more balanced review.

Good points?
Summary

I'd never buy a GP.

I'd recommend one for my mum to pootle around back and forth to the shops though. Something cheap and easy to drive. Cute and curvy.

I want another fiat, but i think i'd have to take a look at the new Bravo. However, wanted a 3-Door.

Hope my traumatic experience is of help to others.

(y)

Deleted the nonsense in between.
Bias is never good either for or against, and a cars validity within its price range cannot be judged without bias by a weeks ownership by a temporary (unwilling?) driver. I had my car now for 2 years, a 1.9 not a weedy 1.2. While storage space is lacking by comparison with mid to upper price range cars I think this poster forgot he was driving a budget low price car. My advice buy a Honda and leave the GP owners who appreciate them for what they are to enjoy them.

You want a boring expensive car after all.

Given the same choices and circumstances of 2 years ago I would buy another MJet 130 tomorrow!

A honda civic? thats another 5grandish!? :O
I agree with above, dont go by the low end cars. Ive got midrange spec dynamic and love it. You are expecting a town car to match up to a van that you have driven!
I love my GP and want to upgrade to a higher spec model asap. Eventually an abarth

Deleted the nonsense in between.
Bias is never good either for or against, and a cars validity within its price range cannot be judged without bias by a weeks ownership by a temporary (unwilling?) driver. I had my car now for 2 years, a 1.9 not a weedy 1.2. While storage space is lacking by comparison with mid to upper price range cars I think this poster forgot he was driving a budget low price car. My advice buy a Honda and leave the GP owners who appreciate them for what they are to enjoy them.

You want a boring expensive car after all.

Given the same choices and circumstances of 2 years ago I would buy another MJet 130 tomorrow!

Quite right Foxy!

V interesting thread this as it's hitting a few buttons with GP owners who evidently love thier cars. Good stuff! Not saying it's exactly this but I only found out what 'internet trolling' meant the other day.....could be the case here I guess. Ha, that reminds me of the biggest troll of all....angry Mike!?:p

The Grande Punto has been preceived as a descent and proud car to own by very few since it's relatively recent launch in the UK. This can be clearly certified by how often you see them on our roads! Now, social stigma and the futile 'middle class' battle for supremecy are probably to blame here and this is where I feel as though I've been pretty lucky to own a unique car....but equally frustrated at the same time.

My girlfriend and I have been having an on-going argument for almost 6 months now and right in the middle of it, swinging it's innocent head from left to right like a naughty child, is my black 57 plate GPS Mjet. Roughly a year after I bought it I started to sift through Autotrader in my lunchbreak looking for a replacement/upgrade for this perfectly good car. Why you ask? well, this forum for one. Although 90% of the time it's extremely useful there is this constant barrage of insults thrown at my particular choice for being a diesel and how cr*p the handling, refinement and performance is. So with this and the usual temptations of other brands to choose from I started to think that I'd maybe made a fatal error of judgement following my test drive.....Maybe the car is too youthful for a thirty-something I thought....should I buy an estate!!? Should I buy a petrol and spend a bit more on fuel so I can be 'real' driver!?

So, the conflict with my 'better half' is because she absolutely loves this car and thinks it's a total waist of time thinking about a change. She likes the looks, the comfortable ride (helped by leather seats and climate control) and power, it's economical, it's fun (175bhp helps), it's individual style and it's easy to park with the addition of a tardis like boot space when the seats are put down. Pretty much the same reasons as me then.

Now, the bad Karma started when I ask her to come and look at cars with me at various local dealers. We've been to Fiat (Bravo) VW (Golf GT TSI) Abarth (GP), Audi (A3 sportback,TT TDI), Seat (Leon FR), and Alfa Romeo (GT,Mito) all purely to test drive and see whether theres reason to change and guess what!?.....she absolutely right....The answers no! It's a complete waist of time looking or thinking about anything having that lush greener grass swaying in a warm breeze that's in your thoughts.

Be it illusion, lust, or boredom one thing that can't be escaped is that the Grande Punto (especially high spec) is a bl**dy great car. Fiat Bravo...just hasn't quite cut it like the GP has.... VW...no redeeming features at all but seriously fast for 1.4....the Abarth...no matter what owners say yes it is nice to drive and a little more fun but for god sakes it is just a GP that drinks alot of fuel. Also boy racer image....A3....no redeeming features and pricey, louder diesel in fact....Seat...pretty nice but still not that different to justify change....Alfa GT...the most dissapointing, engine noise no more refined and quality lacking..Mito...V nice but have to drive one as it was just a show model...when closing the doors it didn't have the real quality feel the GP has!! The only other car that we both agreed was undeniably brilliant was the TT TDI....drive one and be prepared for a shock! But there is an obvious problem there....almost 28k secondhand but we would like one one day that's for sure for now the GPS is staying knowing that it has much more to offer as a package than most cars on the road today.

So, my advice after this rather long winded rant (sorry) would be to appreciate the Grande Punto for what it is......and listen to your good lady if you feel compelled to keep up with the Joneses :)

Last edited:
:yeahthat:

Spot on, absolutely spot on. I think the same whether or not I made the right choice. The VW Polo I had on holiday was poorly built, no fun and no eqipment. Im in a Ford KA at the moment as my GP is having a split hose replaced (from the accident not a manufacter fault) The KA is a shed. The Alfa Mito is nice, but I think their is a serious lack of front passenger space, and it is after all a GP in drag, and a lot more expensive. I have driven the new Fiesta, which has had rave reviews. Look at the rear doors, and how poor the plastic is, just dull thin cheap plastic, the GP at least has the same consistent plastic all round. Nice drive the Fiesta, but im not keen on the Fiesta's dash design. I love the simplicity of the GP. People rave about the quality of the Vauxhall Corsa's quality interior. I have had a good poke round the Corsa, and noticed that the plastic used is exactly the same as the GP, due to the fact they share 30% parts. The only difference is the soft dash. I like my GP, sounds strange but I think it reminds me of a naughty puppy!!

Although 90% of the time it's extremely useful there is this constant barrage of insults thrown at my particular choice for being a diesel and how cr*p the handling, refinement and performance is. So with this and the usual temptations of other brands to choose from I started to think that I'd maybe made a fatal error of judgement following my test drive

No member should put up with insults,yes we have a laugh point take, but thats it and if it gets personal then let myself or any other moderator know. We value your opinion and attendence on this forum and nobody should spoil your enjoyment being a part of this forum(y)

Not sure it's insults..more friendly banter....I can take Matt calling my car a tractor...and will make sure I give him a wave as I pass him at the petrol station :wave:

I am happy enough with my GP...to be honest, I have been with all of my Fiat's including the 55S MK1 punto I had when I passed my test. All cars have their attached stigmas unfortunately. People may look down their noses at Fiats...but I think all german car drivers are tailgating w*nkers. :D - It's horses for courses and people will always draw their own conclusions.....as long as you are happy with a motor and you enjoy driving it...sod everyone!

No, I have hd Vauxhalls, renaults and fords and, my Grande punto is the best of the lot of them! If you don't like it m8y, don't buy it!

are grande puntos really that unreliable? :\

I've had mine for about 3 months now, and i absolutely loveeee it, but reading some of the stuff on here worries me quite alot?
It did break down a couple of weeks ago and needed a new clutch right before my test (glyn hopkins were awfull, they kidnapped my car for 6 days before i got it back ¬_¬), but should i be expecting problems from now on? cause i dont think i can afford it once the warrenty runs out in may !
has anyone got a reliable one? :)

Re: are grande puntos really that unreliable? :\

I have had a lot of niggly/recurring issues with mine, however it has never broken down or failed to start etc so in that sense it is "reliable" in that I feel I can rely upon it, get in it of a morning and go wherever I need to go, regardless of distance. Thats a good feeling, however they are not without issues like any modern car and its starting to feel pretty tired these days. The oily bits are the best bits of the cars to be honest and will go many years and miles when maintained properly. Its the rest of it that will fall to bits :)

I (hopefully considering current fiscal climates) wont have mine all that much longer despite me being uber tight and wanting to get my moneys worth, however if I had to keep it longer than the warranty I would be concerned.

Last edited:

they don't get many mechanical issues, there a few common problems but most are easily fixable and more cosmetic issues, hope that helps

Not had many problems with mine only slight things always started never broken down on me as above n i reckon im going to be keeping it 5years so rock on lol

haven't they up'd the waranty on the new ones to 5 years? sure i saw an advert the other day, so if thats true you should be expecting not many problems within 5 years, may be a load of B******ks though:p

Back