General are stilos good cars? what about this one?

Currently reading:
General are stilos good cars? what about this one?

Normal rules of buying any car apply - check its history!

Electrical faults - I guess it's all relative but I've had two bulbs fail in 3 years - plus 2/3 heater plugs - not sure if that rates as massively bad or not :chin:

JTD is the pick of the engines - and generally most reliable too (y)

Threads like this make me laugh - doesn't anyone know how to use the search function??

We get at least one "thinking of buying a stilo, what do you think" thread a week :bang: and our opinions are always the same, go for the JTD, manual not selespeed, 3 door not 5, if it's the abarth make sure you get a good warranty blah blah blah! Where as in the end the choice will more than not always be governed by price.

A quick search on the model (1.6, JTD, Abarth) will give you more than enough to read and opinions to consider, and if you're still unsure about your particular choice then get it checked over by the AA, RAC or at a push mate who knows a lot more about car than you do.

im more specifiically asking if the car ive posted is worth what is being asked for, and if its a good car. Personally I think he should get a VW Bora / Passat 1.9TDI or 1.8T

Stilo or a Bora/Passat - sorry guy's - VW every time (y)

Stilo or a Bora/Passat - sorry guy's - VW every time (y)

I concur..having driven both ..passat/bora is way in front..and more refined..enjoyed the stilo while it lasted but the car became tiresome with continual faults and warning lights..so I would never return and own another cos the wife already has one lol.. enjoying my panda for its simplicity and fun factor :)

Last edited:
I concur..having driven both ..passat/bora is way in front..and more refined..enjoyed the stilo while it lasted but the car became tiresome with continual faults and warning lights..so I would never return and own another.. enjoying my panda for its simplicity and fun factor :)
Thing is Phil you modded your Stilo to high heaven and you've admitted yourself that's done you no favours for reliability :(

...and I can't help thinking the VW would have suffered a similar fate.

I've owned both marques and the Stilo easily outclasses the VW for reliability (at least after 6 years and excluding beeps of course ;)) and less stuff has fallen off too :p

The VW passat estate is quite a good car, the TDi engine pulls well but, I'd question it's reliability, we have one at work which has one of them stupid buttons for a handbrake and it's always breaking meaning you have no handbrake :rolleyes:

a 1.6 would be ok as an estate but would be bloody slow! the JTD's seems to have less faults than the petrol versions, especially engine/gearbox wise as these are a lot stronger.

Thing is Phil you modded your Stilo to high heaven and you've admitted yourself that's done you no favours for reliability :(

...and I can't help thinking the VW would have suffered a similar fate.

I've owned both marques and the Stilo easily outclasses the VW for reliability (at least after 6 years and excluding beeps of course ;)) and less stuff has fallen off too :p

Yes argo it was more or less down to me this one..modding the stilo was such a waste of time with very little on the market for the car at the time but that's me and I was up for the challenge ..a challenge I now bitterly regret..the vag cars have more technology built into them and the suspension set up [independent] is one factor I do like unlike the rear beam and tyre ware that crops up time and time again on the stilo..the car its self could have been a great success but that is down to fiat with the lack luster interest in the car and a need to get it right and keep owners happy ..funny thing is though they were actually getting it right towards the end of production and then discontinued the car after sorting many of the inbuilt problems issues and concerns that owners were having..can t speak for the multi wagon though because not being an owner of one I honestly couldn't give a truthful opinion ..I do remember a friend on here that didn't fair to well though with his to the extent that fiat bought the car back off him due to the continual problems he was getting.. yep R.I.P Bombay :( I'm sure we all remember Trev..

Back