Apple snails!!

Currently reading:
Apple snails!!

Hi All,

Got some apple snails and theyve laid a clutch of eggs.

Iv read in a few weeks, to transfer them to another tank to prevent them being eaten once hatched.

I do not have another tank though, so is there any way I can stop them being eaten?

Thanks in advance!

nope....do you hav a ice cream tub???

put them in there with some air holes (y)

good idea, but problem is they need some form of waste to eat when hatch and im sure they wont be able to eat algae wafers?

Split the tank into 2 with a piece of mdf/plyboard?

Ziggy

good idea, might even try a plastic sheet tbh

I had apple snails a few years ago in one of my tanks. I used an old round Haribo container and had it floating in the tank with them in. Not ideal long term, but it worked for the initial part of their young lives. An ice cream tub would work too mind. Failing that, splitting the tank in two, although this can be awkward, especially if your tank is fully set-up with rocks/wood/plants ect.

Try eBay, second hand cheap tanks are ALWAYS available. Depends how serious your into your fish and aquatics. Myself, i'm absolutely fanatical about aquariums haha. Its more my passion than my Grande!

thanks wisey!

what iv decided to do, due to the fact that i can't really get another tank atm, is just to leave the eggs, let them hatch and see if they survive.

Iv allowed the glass to become covered in algae and hopefully they will make it to the food - if the fish dont eat them.

Ive never been interested in aqauriums and exotic fish really but I once had a fish from the Fair that lived for 7 years :p
It was covered in tumors and had 1 eye but it was still alive! :p

Pics of the snails?

pics of the snails!

2012-08-18 12.41.22.jpg
2012-08-18 12.41.32.jpg
2012-08-18 12.42.01.jpg
2012-08-18 12.42.24.jpg

glass is filthy in the hope the baby snails will survive from it

Last edited:
I have snails on my apples in the garden, Does this make them apple snails. They seem happy enough. However I also have slugs and they are much bigger, in fact I may have giant slugs. They seem to get along quite well though. And as apples float, the snails can have a little island to live on safe from the other fish and snails if you want some of the apples. lol

I'm sensing the dawn of a new species. Apple Slugs, or maybe add a pear and get Pear Snails for aquariums....hmm

On a serious note, would be great if you do see some tiny snails. Keep us posted.

Back