Apple Mac

Currently reading:
Apple Mac

rich hemmings

Ok guys, for xmas (i know it's early!!!!) but i want a new lap top and i thought about getting a one build from stone computers (where i had my desktop) from!!!

But i thought about having a Apple Mac lapt top as i have allways wanted to have an mac and thought they were too exspensive, but i just wanto know if any one of you guys has an mac and wot you think of it and what are the highs and lows of them!

And i want to know where i can get one from the buget it £700.00 my mum is puttin £500 and i need to put the rest!

I have seen this one wot do ya think?http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...&sku=701183&fm=1&sm=2&tm=undefined&tabIndex=4

I'm on a IT course but because i have allways had an windows op system, macs are just a little daunting!

any advice is welcomed!!!!!!

thanks

rich

for designing and illustration work a mac beats pc's hand down.

the media uses macs for this purpose as pc's would cost alot of money to do the same operations as macs in this respect.

surfing the web though is a down fall to mac owners. however as there is not many viruses made for macs then you will not have to constanyl avoid dodgy websites and will hardly ever have to run viral scans.

in my own opinion macs beat pc's hands down.

but its your choice.

dillinger39 said:
for designing and illustration work a mac beats pc's hand down.

the media uses macs for this purpose as pc's would cost alot of money to do the same operations as macs in this respect.

surfing the web though is a down fall to mac owners. however as there is not many viruses made for macs then you will not have to constanyl avoid dodgy websites and will hardly ever have to run viral scans.

in my own opinion macs beat pc's hands down.

but its your choice.

thanks my friends are trying to put me off, but i do want one and i think i will be having one!

i like the design of them and i like the user interface and how apple have designed the mac all togeather!

thanks

rich

serin said:
i have a mac :D and it does its job very well......

i rest my feet on it, while i use my pc ;)

thanks, i just need to know i just works just like any other comp but it's just an apple right! alos i wanted to know if i could network it with my windows comp?

alos i have an old laptop (windows xp from windows ME!!) and i was going to use that and keep that running and keep that as the main heart of the network! can i do that???

thanks
rich

It doesn't work like a PC although they are starting to incorporate Intel Processors.

You can network them with your PC's as I've done this before however you may run into trouble either File Sharing or Sharing Internet, one of the two not both but I can't remember which.

I'd recommend a PC simply because in general they are more stable, you'll get support easier, you can obtain software easier and the myth about MACS being better for media I don't personally belive to be true as PC's (Windows)generally manages its memory and Processes better causing it not to crash say if you have several media programs open. for example if Director, Flash, 3D Studio Max and Photoshop were open all at the same time on a PC it may go slow and eventually may give you a warning about low memory and at least ry th save your work... I have never seen a MAC that does this and they all crash at the first sign of hard work and lose everything.

I'm talking from experience, there is a MAC in this house hold and I have used several others to do basic PC things, the last incident I had with a MAC is when we asked it to open a Large Quick Time file it refused and kept saying QT player had to terminate.

As you know QT files are Macintosh files, the same QT file opened on a PC, it ran a bit slow as the file was 3GB but at least it ran if you understand what I'm saying.

Its your money at the end of the day but I personally would never spend it on a MAC, they are just for show.

I used to be an account manager for Microsoft and it was openly acknowledged within Micorsoft that Macs had better operating systems and were much much more stable than any PC running a Micorsoft operating system which 98% of home PC's in the world do.

They are in general better than PC at design work and are better time keepers than PC's so are used more in time critical systems like the printing industry, tho this also means its easier to integrate with Mac produced art work, they use there processors more effectively than PC's as well, so the headline processing power is not the be all in Macs, they consequently run quieter as the processors don't get as warm, so no need for noisy fans, tho PC's are getting better.

My mate works in the IT department of Reid Recruitment Consultants in London and they have been running Macs on trail now for 6 months as they are thinking of changing over to them from PC's based on these facts as they have been very impressed with them.

If you really like Windows with the new wave of Intel Macs you can run Windows as an operating system, I say why bother its just a Mac OS ripoff.

But as with everything on an open Forum, you will get a wealth of oppionions and experiences, so take all on board, go play with some and see what you like.

ok ok here are a few things that makes macs superior

macs are easier to use
macs can boot up off most external storage devices
macs are more secure and private
macs suffer from far fewer viruses
macs are faster
macs are more stable
macs have superior file management
macs have superior backup cababilites
macs have superior internet cabalities
macs can run more software

and to get a pc to run at the sam speed of a mac your look at about 2500 worth of kit.

in my opinion (and if i had the money) i would say go for a mac they are superior to pc's in every way. as for connecting them since os X they have become easier to connect up to each other.

dillinger39 said:

macs are easier to use
macs can boot up off most external storage devices
macs are more secure and private
macs suffer from far fewer viruses
macs are faster
macs are more stable
macs have superior file management
macs have superior backup cababilites
macs have superior internet cabalities
macs can run more software

You can still do all that to a PC as you mentioned, but that criteria is very debateable as a reason to conclude macs are better.

2500! you're going to totally the wrong places if you are spending that to uber up a PC

Fookin' hell! This Mac vs PC debate is as old and as out of date as the Ark!

A friend of mine runs a graphic design company, and the company has LOADS of work involving digital photography and high level graphic manipulation.

For years the company used Macs, but have now switched over to PC's. Why? Because in their experience, the differences between a modern PC and a modern Mac are virtually non-existant. A Mac running at the same speed as a PC will cost more, and all the software that was once the domain of the Mac is available on the PC.

From a financial point of view, PC's make more sense. Price per Ghz is cheaper, hardware upgrades are cheaper, way more software available and with far, far, greater support and knowledge bases.

For me, Apples are too 'designer'. They seem to be selling these days as fashion icons, and there's still that old Apple elitism of looking down at PC's even though there's bugger all difference any more. I have some friends who have Apples and they are still pushing the same old brainwash about 'superior' Macs and quoting statistics. What do I care? My PC does its job way cheaper then their Macs do! It might be slow, but a 6 year old Pentium II 233mhz can't be expected to compete with a G4 or Pentium 4. Besides, the number of times I've seen their Macs crash or refuse to open up QT programmes makes me disbelieve the 'stable' operating system claims of a Mac over a PC.

Ten years ago yes, the Apple was far superior to (and more expensive than) an equivilent PC. Today? I doubt it. Surely 90% of the worlds computer users can't all be wrong for using PC's? And how can Apples be so much better than PC's when Apple has recently used Intel processors :confused:

At the end of the day, a computer is a tool for doing a job. It's not how good it looks, how fancy it is, how many split seconds quicker it can do certain jobs or how apparently superior it is. The crucial factor is whether it does the job required at a price and speed that the user can afford. If it does that reliably and without problems, then it has achieved its objective. Therefore it really doesn't matter whether it has 'PC' or 'Apple' written on the front, as long as the user is happy.

Me, I will be very unlikely to buy a Mac. 10 years experience with owning and working with PC's means it will be more of an effort to relearn how to use a Mac than to stick with PC's and a platform I am fully conversant and happy with. Plus with some high power PC's available at rock bottom prices (3.2Ghz Dell package for £399!) I cannot afford a Mac of equivilent power. What's the point in me going for a slower computer when I can afford one that works faster at a price I can afford? :confused:

At the end of the day, whether we use Macs or PC's we all end up at the same place. Such as the Fiat Forum! Does a Mac make the Fiat Forum run any better? Does a PC make it any worse? Nope, they are both the same when it comes to accessing and using websites on the 'net.

We're all in this together, whatever computer we use :hug:

Last edited:
dillinger39 said:

macs are easier to use (hmm kind of true but not entirely)

macs can boot up off most external storage devices (so can a pc)

macs are more secure and private (how so? you do have encryption in PC's and various file systems can be used.)

macs suffer from far fewer viruses (Because there not as widely used and the unix system is slightly different in handling files)

macs are faster (This is rubbish if the powerPC core is so fast why did they recently change to Intel architecture which by the way isnt the quickest architecture on a PC the Athlon 64 is currently the performance leader until the next gen intel chips come out.)

macs are more stable (Again to do with software install linux on a PC and you have the same stability)

macs have superior file management (software)

macs have superior backup cababilites (software)

macs have superior internet cabalities (software and not really true they use the same browsers same protocols etc etc)

macs can run more software (HA! this is just commical saying that they can run more software...as long as its got a port for the macOS.)

and to get a pc to run at the sam speed of a mac your look at about 2500 worth of kit. (absolute RUBBISH)

in my opinion (and if i had the money) i would say go for a mac they are superior to pc's in every way.(unless you want to play games, run programs that are windows specific which is most of the software market) as for connecting them since os X they have become easier to connect up to each other.

In my eyes mac's used to be great but now there hardware is crap and the software is just nix based nothing you can really do with a normal everyday PC.

The powerPC cores suffered from terrible heat problems as well which is why they were canned basically they couldnt ramp up the speeds anymore and the 2.5ghz G5 already had watercooling for the processors gotta say something.

They still have there uses but all those benchmarks you saw on apples sites etc looked really good until you read the small print where they compred 2 different programs between architectures to make the mac's look better theres a reason those benchmarks were then taken off and never replaced.

And most people cannot distinguish between software and hardware it seems.

Last edited:
i have decided thati'm going to get a laptop insted, as i have used an mac at colege since i got back after the may day bank holiday and i think i will be sticking to windows

Back