Technical Anyone who has swapped an 899 cinq engine into a 965 mkI

Currently reading:
Technical Anyone who has swapped an 899 cinq engine into a 965 mkI

dave21478

I am going to soon swap out the ropey 965 pushrod engine in my mkI 4x4 and replace with a 998 SPI from a cinquecento....I have a couple of questions though that I havent found elsewhere.

1 - what electric fuel pump did you use?
2 - did you mount it in the engine bay so its sucking through the lines or at the rear so its pushing through the lines?
3 - fuel filter...before or after the pump?
4 - did you fit the charcoal canister vapor recovery stuff? if not, did you just plug the pipe on the throttle body? does leaving this off effect the ECU...ie bring on the fault light?
5 - did you fit the cat converter? if not, how does it do on an emissions test?

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_20170424_204359.jpg
    IMG_20170424_204359.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20180204_184035.jpg
    IMG_20180204_184035.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
I've not swapped a 965 for a 899, but have done a 999 Fire to 1242 and the injection systems are much the same so I can answer your questions.

1. Any good quality branded one ideally such as Bosch or Walbro. The injector only runs at 1 bar with a relatively low flow rate but you can safely use a 3 bar rated pump with a high flow rate as you have the regulator on the throttle body.

https://www.glencoeltd.co.uk/ti-automotive-fuel-pumps-walbro/walbro-fuel-pumps/ti-automotive-external-fuel-injection-pump-8mm-connections-walbro-f30000271/

This would work nicely as it has 8mm connections which match the throttle body and fuel tank. You can buy much cheaper none branded pumps but I wouldn't trust one.

2. The pump should be mounted as close to the tank and as low as possible. Some people put them in the engine bay and it does seem to work so its up to you really. I'd rather go on what the pump manufacturer advises and also how many factory fuel injected cars do you see with the pump in the engine bay...

3. Filter should be after the pump. Make sure you have a strainer on the bottom of the pick up pipe in the tank though.

4. You can fit this if you like, but not necessary. The ECU will show a fault as the canister solenoid is not connected but it won't affect how the engine runs.

5. No need to bother with a CAT unless the car had one when new, not the case with a Mk1. Should pass a non cat test fine. You will need to fit the lambda sensor into the exhaust though.

Hope that helps.

Back