Anyone know anything about Carbs?!?

Currently reading:
Anyone know anything about Carbs?!?

Well, Im thinking of running a car with one, but know nothing about them?

they were generally replace by injection systems, does this mean theyre inferior?
Do they fail easily? Need constant tweaking? Whats the diffences btween them and injection cars?

Or will it just sit there and do its job? like my spi does? :chin:

u want to convert from SPI to carb? why.

you'll have great fun with emissions. SPI appeared when cars had to be fitted with cats, and more control was needed over emissions.

u want to convert from SPI to carb? why.

you'll have great fun with emissions. SPI appeared when cars had to be fitted with cats, and more control was needed over emissions.

no, its for another car, hence why its in "Non-fiat" and not in "Cinquecento"

it comes as standard with a carb :p just wondered what the day to day running was like

from experience of my carby uno...not worth the effort....the thing was 11 years old like so mebbe you'll have more luck, but whenever the mot came round you had to be under the bonnet with a screwdriver playing with the idle speed, to pass it you had to lean it right back but if you ran it like that all the time it made your eye balls bounce in traffic and shook the exhaust loose, to get it to idle smoothly you could speed it up but then it wouldn't shut off when turned the key instantly also it would pop and bang on the over run....i prefer Fuel injection but if your having it on a second car and would like scope to tinker its more hands on than an ecu...also apparently...tho i'll be honest this is an observation gleaned from comparison of of a DB601 (direct injection aero engine) and a rolls royce merlin (carby aero engine) the evaporation of the petrol in the carb adds some power but really not sure why you would

this would be my only car, thats the kinda info that I was looking for, if they need constant adjustment then ill think ill walk away :(

my mode of transport covers more miles than any FF'er :D

853_1

pfft, i took a fiat to london and back, via surrey and stafford last week. granted it was POS 1.2 8v grande punto.. but it was quicker than yer bus! :p

What's the setup? My Strada has twin choke carbs and requires fairly regular tweaking to keep at it's best. To set the things up you need a gas anaylser, vaccum guages and possible some flow guages. Because it's a high vibration area you need to check the settings as the adjustment screws can move.

All carbs are good, constant depression are better than fixed jet but both can work fine the Zenith on my Citroen was fantastic. Auto chokes are a joke, but you can convert to a manual and minimise fuel washing the bores while maximising MPG. What carb does the car have? My MGB has twin SUs, it runs like a sewing machine does up to 40 MPG starts first time idles well well with a fast road cam and has not needed adjusting for 2 years.

i much prefer a carb, but the EU says no no no.

i also prefer a distributor.

you are then in control of your own fueling and ignition, so you dont need to remap your car (there is no map) you can get your fueling and ignition exactly how you like.

thats why a 1.6 carb engine was so much more fun compared to a modern 1.6 tree hugger.

and while we're on the subject i want my 5star fuel back.

Back