anyone know about boilers?

Currently reading:
anyone know about boilers?

arc

this is where i stand
our boiler in this house is crap. its a combi boiler. rubbish water pressure.

anyway, we told the landlord and he adjusted a valve on it. pressure went again tonight so one of me housemates adjusted it again.

then the boiler dumped a load of water out of pipe on the bottom of it, and now it drips. and threres still no pressure.

methinks we may need a plumber (or at least a bigger bucket!)

The combi boilers usually have a pressurised closed loop system, is there a pressure gauge in the boiler control panel?

If you overpressurise them, it'll lift the relief valve and vent excess pressure. This is possibly what's happened when you've opened the water supply to it.

You may need to bleed the radiators after refilling/repressurising, which could mean you need to adjust the pressure again afterwards. Have a look around for leaks.

it's back in a state of not leaking. but the water pressure is still rubbish.

the pressure gauge is showing around 1bar, it goes up the more i open the valve. when it was leaking it was no where near the redline (3bar).

The only other boiler ive really seen is the one at work, another combi - with two valves and a gauge. and u closed off them valves to build the pressure up and then opened them up again.

i can only find the one valve though. Thats not likely to be the boilers main water feed though - it looks too small and there are more cold water pipes going in there.

At the taps, the water pressure is fine until the water heats up and then it drops off (pressure gauge reading doesnt change). It gets to a point where the water from the taps is so slow, the boiler assumes the tap is off and powers down again.

Normally you have to use a plastic valve key to re-pressurise the system, it would be unusual to have a normal valve.

From what I remember on the boiler my parents have, the normal pressure is about 1.5 bar and over 2 bar it vents itself.

Your landlord shouldn't be messing with it really, as a rented house it should be done by a Corgi plumber.

got a combi in my house and it certainly sounds likes yours is buggered. the presurizing of the system and the pressure valve only relate to the central heating part of the system. the hot water is seperate that just runs of water pressure from ground. the fact that yours is dropping off so muich suggests there is sumthing wrong in the boiler.

normal combi boilers run with just hot water about 1- 1.5 bar.never let it go under 1 bar.with heating on,about 2.5- 3 bar. you may have a thermo coupling problem or the mother board[likely] is at fault.you need a corgi plumber for certain.:)

T14086 said:
What make of boiler is it?

If your losing pressure your losing water,refilling from inlet is only temp measure.When was the last time the system was flushed:rolleyes:

valiant.. variant.. i dunno it begins with V

don't roll your eyes at me, its a rented house ive been in for like a month - how would i know when it was last flushed :confused: :p

if it were loosing water, it'd be leaky all the time yeah - not spotted any other leaks

easy to sort.notify the landlord that the boiler is faulty and pressurising and there for damn dangerous.tell him you will call out a corgi registered plumber.he has a liable duty to fix it.this will make him take proper action.if not,tell him the health and safety will be called.he will then move like grease lightning:)

Back