Anyone any good with bicycles?

Currently reading:
Anyone any good with bicycles?

I've just got a new one, got it home and assembled it and am having a bit of a problem with the brakes :( Anyone any good and could help me out?

Basically the brakes are wonky, they are block brakes and are angled off to one side so that one side is too loose and the other side rubs. I can get them lined up again but as soon as I apply the brakes they move back out again. I can provide pictures if needed.

Hmm...that I can do, should have asked me yesterday ;)

If you can get them lined up, it may be moving out because you dont have the nuts tight enough. Tighten them up and try again.

The nuts that hold the cable that adjusts how close the brakes are to the rim? The only other thing I seem to be able to move is some 'adjustment screws' that tighten the spring but actually make no difference whatsoever.

Oh...err, me specifying which nuts I meant might have helped.

Just to clear this up in my mind...does the cable pull upward coming from the top at one side, or go in at one side and pull both brakes together?

And is the brake caliper secured to the bike in the centre of the frame, or at each side...

Hang on, I'll get a picture

ls-08-10s.jpg

is it ones like that!! ^^^^

if its angle try tightning the center nut (the big one)

altough, my brakes were angled for YEARS, they still worked fine tho :p

Sounds more like a V or Cantilever type tbh...

V-Brake:
Image233.gif

Cantilever:
Image234.gif

Like these types?

Last edited:
Ah righty...that makes things a bit easier.

Erm, on the base near where each side is secured to the bike there should be a tension screw (usually a tiny allen key)...try releasing tension from the side that isnt pulling and adding some to the side that is.

I used to love setting up v brakes. My mates always came round with their bikes lol

If the right arm(looking from front) is rubbing against the wheel, you would need to unscrew the right screw/allen bolt. But, the screw on the left arm should not be screwed all the way in in.

OR
Try screwing in the screw/allen bolt thats on the left arm of the brake. Again the screw on the right arm should not be screwed all the way in in.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
The right arm, thats rubbing, will need its tension screw screwing in

OR

The left arm's tension screw, will need to be unscrewed. Make sure the right arm's tension screw isnt screwed all the way in.

Sorry for the confusion! I did say 'used' to love setting up v brakes ;) :eek:

Helz...............................

forget pictures of the bike, get some on here of yourself, I need some late night stimulation.

I'm at work, stressed while you guys sleep, not good!

Re: Helz...............................

I'm really peed off with this now :( I've done what you and Tom suggested and basically yanked the brake unit into a central place but as soon as I pull and release the brake lever, we're back to one side rubbing again and I've tried every combination of screws I can think of and then some. There is a big allen screw next to the little adjustment screws called the brake boss screw. From the way it ripped my big allen key to shreds I would say it's not meant to be moved but it's the only thing left I can think of :(

Back