anybody successfully changed their career??

Currently reading:
anybody successfully changed their career??

Gazza AK47

I got rusty Russian guns.
I've been a car mechanic for 16 years and MoT testing for 8 years and have had enough of it and wanting to change my career.

At 32 I'm still quite young(ish) and want to make the change before its too late.

I know what I want to do, would like to get involved in PC hardware as I love arsing about with my PC and have signed up to get information on courses.

I would also absolutely love to go and work on the railways, not the fixing side of things, and so have written to my local operator, First Great Western for info and careers and training.

Hopefully that should get things rolling.

Anyone else change careers with success?

Oh yeah, car mechanics as a career, great when your young, ****e when your older?

Gazza, at 44 I wish I had done something about my career when I was your age. I cannot stress enough that life is woefully short and it's not fair that you continue to follow a career you are not happy with. I would chuck my job in now if I wasn't six years away from finishing my mortgage.

When you find a job you love to do you'll never have to work again.

I'm 42 and still got about 20 years left on mine :(

I haven't even started a mortgage at 38... :eek:

But I am in the process of changing my career. Spent most of my time since leaving school in 1985 going in and out of many different jobs and ending up travelling and working abroad. Never settled into anything though, and by the time I hit my mid 30's I realised I had to get myself a long term and stable profession else my pension scheme was going to look very bleak.

So in 2005 I went back to college for a year, got myself an Access certificate, then applied to go to University and started my degree in February 2007. 2.5 years to go and if all goes to plan I'll be a Registered Nurse with a BSc! (y)

It's hard work and means a lot of sacrifices, but I'll get myself a good career and one that should last me until I retire.

One thing about the job market these days is that it's hard to move very far without a degree or formal higher education qualification. That's not always the case, but it's not easy to move up to higher positions without the appropriate qualifications. I'd also say that particularly applies to the IT market and they tend to want experience as well as many new IT graduates have found out.

However, Luke who is a member on here managed to qualify this year AND get a job fairly quickly. I think he is qualified in programming rather than hardware assembly though.

Look into the jobs/ careers you are interested in then find out how easy it is to secure a position once qualified. It can be done and at 32 you are still young with plenty of time to retrain. Choose the right career and good luck!

at 20 I think I've found the career for me lol, working on an acute psychiatric ward, I love it and it never feels like work, except for having to restrain people now and then and seeing some not very nice things =/ but its all part of the job, which has encourage me to go and do my nurses training next year :D

Go for the change, I'd hate to be in a job I hated

at 20 I think I've found the career for me lol, working on an acute psychiatric ward, I love it and it never feels like work, except for having to restrain people now and then and seeing some not very nice things =/ but its all part of the job, which has encourage me to go and do my nurses training next year :D

Go for the change, I'd hate to be in a job I hated

I envy you. My brother is/works with disabled and he thinks weekends just get in the way of his work!

I envy you. My brother is/works with disabled and he thinks weekends just get in the way of his work!

I've just worked 37.5 hours in 3 days, felt knackered after it but could have easily worked more, I just love the job lol :O

I love it and it never feels like work, except for having to restrain people now and then and seeing some not very nice things =/ but its all part of the job, which has encourage me to go and do my nurses training next year :D

Only last week I had to nurse a terminally ill cancer patient who had hours left to live. I knocked off my shift at 2pm, and by 6pm he was dead :(

However, knowing that perhaps the work me and my fellow nurses do helps comfort people in the last days of their lives makes it worth it even if it is hard at times. I'm only a student nurse so have a lot more to see yet.

Good luck with your training SeicentoS (y) I should be doing some placements in a mental health ward at some point during my placements so will see how that compares with medical/ surgical nursing :)

That's right - change while you can. I was stuck in a dead end job with an a$$hole boss and was unhappy every freaking day until I transferred to being in sales.

Don't be afraid to challenge yourself - the worst you can do is fail miserably :p

Hi there, I'm 30 i was in warehousing and at 27 i changed jobs I'm now a Senior Conductor on the railway working a 4 day week (Sunday optional) and every 3 weeks i have a 5 day weekend!. Basically I'm my own boss no managers following you around the only snag is football fans drunk and the last train home. Other than that its good money for 6months work! (someone worked out with all our holidays and rest days we only work 6 months) :)

Hi there, I'm 30 i was in warehousing and at 27 i changed jobs I'm now a Senior Conductor on the railway working a 4 day week (Sunday optional) and every 3 weeks i have a 5 day weekend!. Basically I'm my own boss no managers following you around the only snag is football fans drunk and the last train home. Other than that its good money for 6months work! (someone worked out with all our holidays and rest days we only work 6 months) :)

Thats the sort of job on the railways I want, how did you go about getting, excuse the pun, on board?????

I'm writing a letter to First Great Western explaining my interest in starting on the railways,,,

my career change required 3 years at uni, but it was worth it.

people often say IT is not a good industry to move into these days because too many people have done it and the wages are dropping. those people ignore the fact that the IT industry is one of the fastest growing industries in the uk (and the world), and the issue with too many people entering IT is only true for the semi-skilled and junior roles.

plenty of people have done MSCE courses and the wages are now as low as 14k for some network admins, which is not an improvment on the past, but in most other areas demand and wages have increased and that will continue. plus it is often dead easy work and you get to sit at a desk playing on the internet most of the day. i get paid very well for playing on fiatforum.

changed career from retail manager (done for 12 years) when i was 30. 4 years later and i'm now driving trains!!

understand you're predicament totally

most rail companies recruit driving and guards positions internally as there is never a shortage of recuits so you have to be prepared to start at the bottom usually in a station assistant role (helping with tickets, luggage and telling people to p*** off when you are solely responsible for the state of the railways):bang:

keep applying and you'll get lucky eventually

Best thing that ever happened to me was getting made redundant. I always regretted not doing better at school, so at 30 I went back to college, then to university, and I actually graduated with a decent degree!! Finding a new career at my age and with my work history is not easy :bang: You have to keep knocking on doors.

Back