Tuning Any way of getting some power from my 1.2?

Currently reading:
Tuning Any way of getting some power from my 1.2?

iLackSkill

Hi there, I have a 1.2 8v punto and it's great for city driving which I mostly do, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do to get a bit more power from it, nothing too crazy, my dad has a 1.9 JTD that has 80 hp and it's light years faster than my 60 hp one, so I was thinking that if I could get it to something like 70-75 that it would be plenty for my needs of zipping round town. I don't have any performance mods on yet as I've been told that it's a waste od koney. I'll be getting alloys soon so that should be some weight reduction if I'm not wrong. Thanks in advance

That's a great vid, thanks. How much am I looking at regarding cost? From what I could tell from watching I need thw intake manifold from a mk1 punto, fuel injector rod from a mk1, and a throttle body from a Marea (or anything thats 48mm diameter) I'm probably missing something aren't I? :)

Hi there, I have a 1.2 8v punto and it's great for city driving which I mostly do, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do to get a bit more power from it, nothing too crazy, my dad has a 1.9 JTD that has 80 hp and it's light years faster

I'll be getting alloys soon so that should be some weight reduction if I'm not wrong. Thanks in advance

Derv power is good..
But insurance might be too much for you

Alloys might actually weigh more.. :eek:

Being 'soft' they over engineer them..
Steel rims can take abuse.. ;)

Derv power is good..
But insurance might be too much for you

Alloys might actually weigh more.. :eek:

Being 'soft' they over engineer them..
Steel rims can take abuse.. ;)

Agreed most oem alloy's weight a tone
I know the ones on my tipo do forget how heavy they can be until I take them off again
You'd want magnesium ones for a lightweight wheel but costly
Unfortunately not much you can do without stripping the interior out to save Weight Otto increase power

Hi.
If you have any issues with insurance for any modifications you're thinking of then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Some weight reduction might help a bit, if you've got all kinds of metal junk in the boot, better take it out

The new Panda 4x4 cam' is as good an upgrade as the rocking horse poo rare Punto 75 cam' from the Mk1.

The Grande Punto came with a 1.4 8V so have a look at the size of the injectors and throttle body as a potential donor.

Weight reduction is okay but not so much for a daily driver.

Most important however much time/money you spend making the car go faster remember it had to go round corners and stop so spend three times as much on that. :)

Hi there, I have a 1.2 8v punto and it's great for city driving which I mostly do, but I was wondering if there was anything I could do to get a bit more power from it, nothing too crazy, my dad has a 1.9 JTD that has 80 hp and it's light years faster than my 60 hp one, so I was thinking that if I could get it to something like 70-75 that it would be plenty for my needs of zipping round town. I don't have any performance mods on yet as I've been told that it's a waste od koney. I'll be getting alloys soon so that should be some weight reduction if I'm not wrong. Thanks in advance

My Stilo had the 1.2 engine, it had a custom built twin duplex exhaust system which made a huge difference, it had standard airbox and filter setup though!
I think with the 1.2 engine it's about getting small gains here and there, look at a performance exhaust system, decat or sport cat? induction kit, intake manifold, bigger throttle body, performance intake cam, stiffer cam springs, maybe a remap if that is possible?
Start with the cheapest easiest things, sometimes a good service makes a difference, new plugs correctly gapped, some quality oil and a fresh air filter will be a good start.

My Stilo had the 1.2 engine, it had a custom built twin duplex exhaust system which made a huge difference, it had standard airbox and filter setup though!
I think with the 1.2 engine it's about getting small gains here and there, look at a performance exhaust system, decat or sport cat? induction kit, intake manifold, bigger throttle body, performance intake cam, stiffer cam springs, maybe a remap if that is possible?
Start with the cheapest easiest things, sometimes a good service makes a difference, new plugs correctly gapped, some quality oil and a fresh air filter will be a good start.
Thank you for your reply, I already changed the sparkplugs and the wires because I had issues with them, as well as a service.I'll look into the performance exhaust.

Back