Styling Any problems with your Fiat Punto 55sx?

Currently reading:
Styling Any problems with your Fiat Punto 55sx?

G.Q

Hi I am kiwi from New Zealand and I was just wanting to know what the downside is to owning one as I have just purchased a 1995 fiat punto 55 sx and am also wanting to know if Ive just bought a lemon. Please share your experience with me
Cheers

Since Ive had mine 7 months

new gearbox

new clutch

new fuel filter

new exhuast

front braked are warping

3 sets of brake pads

new brake pipes

and various panels squeek grind and move.

easy dinting body work,

**** poor engine and reliability and best off all
handles like the titanic

the rear suspension arms and bushes are often knackered on them and need changing its best to do both sides at the same time it costs about £130 for the parts plus about £100 for the labour. does it have the red master key + two blue slave keys ? if you lose the blue keys and dont have the red key it could cost you a fortune about £500+

whoa damm ghetto moose i think we have similar driving techniques aye, drive it like its hot. Thats alot of work in just 7 months, it looks mint though. Hay Marky what'ya doing in your car matey... do any of you have trouble with the airbag warning light staying on?

Last edited:
Its funny you should say that. Im having withdrawal symptoms because of selling my bmw for this thing and I hate it. Going from a 1995 BMW 318is series 3 to this **** color **** all 1100cc fiat I hate it but the mrs loves it. My next ride is gonna be a 64 impala (I hope she dont read this)

Hi GQ

I've had my Punto 55 sx for a year now, it had only done 74,000 for a ten year old car and had been serviced every year and so far i've also had to replace the gearbox, replace the Fuel pump as the piptes had cracked and it was leaking fuel (apparently a common problem wit puntos) I've had to have the rear suspension arm replaced as Bush and pin kit buggered and also just found out the flexi on the exhaust is gping and will need whole new exhaust!!

despite all this I love my little Punto and I'm currently selling it (all these things now fixed obviously) with great regret, and it hasn't put me off Puntos as just bought another one but 2000 model this time (although after reading someof the forums i'm not so sure I'll have any better luck!!)

My only advice would be make the best use of your local breakers yard, i saved a packet on my gearbox and rear suspension arm by getting them from there and then getting someone ot fit them and both are now in perfect working order!!

Had mine for a year.

New battery and alternator - £150

Brake pipe work on recall - Free

Washerjets System Leeking - £25

Replaced cambelt and tensioner as previous owner not sure if it had been done - £100

Replaced cambelt cover as oil from leaking cam gasket cover - £5

Replaced cam gasket cover due to leak - £5

General service work (plugs/leads/oil/filter/wiperblades) - £45

Pretty much all standard maintance and a few problems. Car has been running well for a good 6 months (touch wood) and it's only costing me petrol, tax and insurance to keep on the road. :)

Previous owner had a new standard backbox fitted, replaced brake pads and fairly new tyres. Once I get the money I'll be uprating bits anyway but I've always got £1,000 put aside to get a new car/repair just incase.

Last edited:
Kjata, brake pipe recall? first i've heard of it, and if twas free, i'm mildly annoyed.... car failed the MOT on the front brake pipes last year, had to pay £40 to get the gits replaced (I had broken collarbone, couldn't be arsed)
I love me 55SX. Well, love might be a bit strong. bought it cos it was cheap to insure. i've had typical age things, sump rusted thru, camshaft cover seal, and the front discs are on the way out...
Scrap yards, absolute genius when you own a Fiat...

yes but the parts are quite expensive here in new zealand as they are not in very high demand. (should ve kept the beema) so does any body have pics of their cars online, may I have a gawk please?

I had a Mk 1 N reg for 3 years, i didnt put me off, in fact i know own a MK2.

In 3 years i had it serviced once. New clutch, timing belt, head gasket and front break pads.

I still miss it :(

Had mine nearly a year, had new head gasket, complete new exhaust, new brake pads all round. Had most of it done on warranty so wasnt all bad. Despite the ups and downs Puntos are a lovely car.

davethedrummer said:
Kjata, brake pipe recall? first i've heard of it, and if twas free, i'm mildly annoyed.... car failed the MOT on the front brake pipes last year, had to pay £40 to get the gits replaced (I had broken collarbone, couldn't be arsed)
I love me 55SX. Well, love might be a bit strong. bought it cos it was cheap to insure. i've had typical age things, sump rusted thru, camshaft cover seal, and the front discs are on the way out...
Scrap yards, absolute genius when you own a Fiat...

Exact Model:
Description: CORROSION OF METAL BRAKE PIPES
VIN: ZFA17600000010087 TO ZFA17600006023643
Build Date: 1st January 1993 to 31st December 1996
Numbers: 77166
Defect: Prolonged exposure to the effects of road salt corrosion may result in performation of the metal brake pipes and a consequential loss of braking efficiency.
Action: Replace corroded brake pipes and apply corrosion prevention treatment to all brake pipes.
Launch Date: 01 August 2001

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recalls/index.jsp

I recently bought a 55S with no mot, I bought it cheap to sell on. It was a 1996 car with patchy history and 86k on the clock. I booked it in for the brake pipe recall and they did both front and back no questions asked. It passed the mot after a quick service and I doubled my money. It was a good wee car. If you look after them they'll look after you.

Back