Technical Any Ideas??

Currently reading:
Technical Any Ideas??

robertk2003

Elitetuning.co.uk
I've recently had a problem with my car, which i beleive is the overboost valve/sensor. I have moved this near the battery tray as per other members suggestions, however i left it too late and i am currently awaiting the time to fit a new overboost sensor, which i hope will alleviate the cars current dip in performance.
However, my car has developed a new "ailment" in that occasionally when driving along the car seems to lose all power in an instant, (only when moving and only when foot is on accelerator!). It doesn;t cut out, but it naturally starts to slow down.
If i take my foot of the accelerator and reapply it everything returns to be being fine??????

I was wondering if this problem could be caused by the faulty overboost
valve thats still attached, or is it the a new fault caused by one of the other sensors etc that seem to self destruct on the stilo Jtd. i.e MAF or even this E throttle thing ( If someone could explain where this is and what iot is i'd greatly appreciate it, also what affect would it have on teh car if this "E throttle" thing went faulty or broke???)

Many thanks Rob
(MERRY XMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE, STAY SAFE!)

Rob, what you explain here is what is still happening to mine on occasion despite having the MAF sensor changed. It's going back to Hylton of Worcester after Xmas where I will insist they change the overboost valve. Why they didn't listen the first time is beyond me. The examiner is a worthless p-o-s if they only rely on that for a clue.

The examiner is a worthless p-o-s if they only rely on that for a clue.
My sentiments exactly, Its just not specific enough. For example, i had a "Pre heat fault" Shelled out for examiner, and they told me the Heatewr plug relay and all 4 plugs needed changing. WHY? Because Examiner only shows the general area of the fault, which i knew because the car told me on the dash display. FIAT woul;dn't accept this and insisted i paid for examiner. I raised an issue with this but FIAT said that they would'nt just take for granted what the cars own diagnosis system says! Hmmmmm????? Yee haa Hi Ho silver.......!

Any how, i know my overboost valve is faulty however this upto know has just caused an intermittent engine fault warning and caused the car to create a slight lag at around "2500RPM under load. Very similar to turbo lag. However the new fault is that it seems like the engine just cuts out instantly and loses ALL power until i take my foot of the accelerator and reapply it (Then all is well???) I'm just wondering if this will be an affect of a faulty overboost valve too!> Anyone?

Just read through this quickly, but my bro's Grande Punto 130MJet had the same problem. Turned out to be the turbo unit itself wasn't correctly secured to the bracket, and it was letting air pass in or something . . .

And the award for the vaguest post goes to me :D

Unfortunally alot of examiner operators just read the errors but dont make much use of the active diagnosis & parameter functions...let alone its excellent multimeter & recorder functions.ALL fiat techs should attend the dedicated examiner course.

My sentiments exactly, Its just not specific enough. For example, I had a "Pre heat fault" Shelled out for examiner, and they told me the Heatewr plug relay and all 4 plugs needed changing. WHY? Because Examiner only shows the general area of the fault, which I knew because the car told me on the dash display. FIAT woul;dn't accept this and insisted I paid for examiner.
I just told the garage which heater needed changing and they got on and did it. Ended up with quite a cheap job. I'm fairly certain the fault resets (eventually) so no point in even connecting Examiner.
Any how, I know my overboost valve is faulty however this upto know has just caused an intermittent engine fault warning and caused the car to create a slight lag at around "2500RPM under load. Very similar to turbo lag. However the new fault is that it seems like the engine just cuts out instantly and loses ALL power until I take my foot of the accelerator and reapply it (Then all is well???) I'm just wondering if this will be an affect of a faulty overboost valve too!> Anyone?
Sounds similar to what I had (should get engine fault on dash as well). Doesn't need to be reset as will clear when valve is changed and turbo kicks in. You really need to get that valve sorted before you worry about any other problems :)

Right i've had my car looked at again!!!! (By looked at i mean i had to pay for the infamous diagnostic. Anyway it would seem that my intercooler connection pipe has a split in it causing an Overboost fault. Thew cause???, The pipe is positioned so close to a piece of underbody protection plastic, its been rubbing against it, and eventually split it. A bad bad design fault, so gonna try and claim it back.

Got a bit of news recently of Fiat Aftercare, regarding my warranty, FIAT voided it 3 months ago, bacause the garage i had my car serviced at was not VAT registered, I fought it questioning what effect VAT registration would have on the quality of my service, and noone (FIAT / FIAT AUTO CARE / AA legal team etc) could not provide even the remotest of answers, so i have been fighting this. As i am adamant not to just let Fiat leg me on this, anyway i dont know if anyone else has had this problem regarding servicing i.e. VAT registration being used as a tool to reject warranty, but i will get back to you all soon on how my fight is doing.
Your moral support on this matter would be greatly appreciated

All the best to all FF.com memebrs for the new year, too, i wish you a safe, and trouble free year.

Rob

Its E.U. legislation.

Its in the warranty terms.

Its a guarantee (the VAT) recipt & proof of work carried out,without it the garage could deny all knowledge.

The garage is also registered...(quote ... "Anyone offering to waive their VAT responsibilities when they are VAT registered is certainly not a reputable trades-person. Cowboys operate in this way as there would be no record of the VAT, therefore the job would simply not exist in the eyes of the taxman. There are of course bona fide trades-people whose turnover does not exceed the current VAT threshold of £60,000 and therefore the above does not apply. However it is important to remember that if they are not VAT registered they must not charge VAT on the work they do. If/when things go wrong (and you do not have a record of payment made such as a VAT receipt) you would have nothing to fall back on as the tradesperson can deny all knowledge of the work and you have nothing to prove otherwise"...unquote

Would you say trust a non-vat registered gas company to check your gas heating system,plumber,electrician just to save a few quid?

The law is very specific about the garage being VAT registered. I don't think you will win any action against Fiat on this one.

The law is very specific about the garage being VAT registered. I don't think you will win any action against Fiat on this one.
Well guys, i'm sorry to say but on this occasion you are both wrong :cool: . Got my letter back stating FIAT have accepted that VAT registration will not affect my warranty in terms of the service i have had done. VAT registration not being a surity that the garage is suitably qualified/ (i.e Has the ability to carry out a proper service!).
Some garages choose not to be VAT registered!
I do accept that if you took your car to a shady looking back street garage, then on your head be it, however there are 000's of garages out there that have been operating sucessfully and reputably for many many years, that are not VAT registered, that provide equal or greater quality service than that of some that are VAT registered, and it is on this point that FIAT has held its hands up
My warranty has been reinstated, the work has been carried out (Under said warranty!)
FIAT has stated that they are looking to "relax the rules" on this issue!

YIPPEEEEE

Back