Any Electronic Project Wizards around ?

Currently reading:
Any Electronic Project Wizards around ?

Koa

Free dentistry available
Hi,

I am looking for a place online that does all sorts of Electronics bits, but I want to get them all from one place to save hassle.
They would have to sell all the different values of Resistors, capacitors, IC's, Potentiometers etc etc. Maybe even the tools of the trade but that's not essential.
Maplins only have a limited variety and their online shop does not clearly state the values as most of their stuff is sold in kits with varieties of pieces in them, does anyone have a favourite place for their electronics parts ?

Any info at all would be great,

Cheers.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

OMG What don't they sell :eek:

You see how many results you get when you search for resistors :eek:

Perfect Chas, thanks for that (y)

My pleasure! (y)

What are you building? :confused:
Just a few bits and bobs to get myself reacquainted with it all, like a radio and a primitive RC car for now, but eventually I want to gather enough knowledge to build my own Speed controllers and everything needed to build a large scale RC tank from scratch. It's just something to mess about with in my spare time because I'm setting up a couple of workshops in the garden for the ideas racing around in my brain :D

Just a few bits and bobs to get myself reacquainted with it all, like a radio and a primitive RC car for now, but eventually I want to gather enough knowledge to build my own Speed controllers and everything needed to build a large scale RC tank from scratch. It's just something to mess about with in my spare time because I'm setting up a couple of workshops in the garden for the ideas racing around in my brain :D

That sounds fun! You should certainly find all you need from RS Components.

I was a bit worried that you wanted to buy electronic components so you could start selling Beau style 20bhp resistors on Ebay :p

Cheers, I had a look to see if there was a branch local to me but I couldn't find their listing and it looks like there's only the one branch in Northants. They have a good system online though, I'll be able to get everything I need from there it's fantastic.

but eventually I want to gather enough knowledge to build my own Speed controllers and everything needed to build a large scale RC tank from scratch.

Nice. I used to build things like that. Usually combat robots similar to robot wars. My latest one i built in 2005... It was the first combat robot with an onboard computer for communications and to control and monitor systems within the machine. Had titanium blades mounted to a flywheel as it main weapon, a circular saw blade powered by a starter motor (tore thru metal like paper) and a flamethrower. was pretty cool... ill have to get the vid.

EDIT: lol went off on a tangent and forgot what i was supposed to put in the first place... Yeh so ive had a lot of experiance with speed controllers and other motor control methods so if you need some help, lemme know :)
Checkout 4QD and electronize for prefab speedos if you wanna save the hassle, or do a MOSFET H bridge. but tbh, by the time you've designed and built a reliable, usable bridge your gonna wish you'd have got a prefab one, as many of the affordable ones now have the advantage of being completely configurable. the 4QD NNC series (think its been replaced by an almost identical series now) was absolutly top notch and the best i ever worked with.

Last edited:
speed controller.. hehe, i made one of them. think it was along the lines of 555 timer based circuit switching a massive power transistor on/off. it was regualting the power to a pair of windscreen wiper motors that were being used as drive.

are they the same company? i dunno. maybe. google knows!

Cheers chaps.

Xen, I have so many things I need to make or at least get some experience of the components needed to upgrade my Large scale RC tank that I already have. I am not happy with the manufacturers standard specs and need to sort out more reliable ways to control the various functions. Getting back into dabbling with electronics is a good way to start the ball rolling and then I'll pick up enough knowledge to make my own from scratch. I have already learnt a lot about adding detail and making the tank realistic but being a perfectionist I will be starting again in a few weeks. Hopefully within a couple of years I will be ready to dive into the big project. Which will most likely be a Stug III Assault Gun.
Here's a video of my Tiger tank as it is at the moment if anyones interested.

I'll keep your offer of help in mind Xen, you may regret it though :D (y)

that tank is pretty f*ckin cool :D

I would get into PIC programming aswell... most of the roboteers i used to know started moving towards PIC controlled H-Bridge speedos before the scene went down the pan. Using PICs means you can have the speedos behave exactly as you want by coding the PIC accordingly- gives you more flexability than the 'off-the-shelf' MOSFET drivers. Its definatly something I'd be getting into if i were still building them.

Xen was the name of my robot (my name comes from that. After i built Xen, people on the forum started calling me Xen so it just kinda stuck and now i use it for everything :eek: ) Theres a vid i made of it back in 2005 on youtube...

as you can see, im not a perfectionist :p the design sux, but it was more of a trial run of computer-integration in combat robots rather than a combat robot itself, so i just bulit a big angle-iron box and built everything from there.

Cheers, I had a look to see if there was a branch local to me but I couldn't find their listing and it looks like there's only the one branch in Northants. They have a good system online though, I'll be able to get everything I need from there it's fantastic.

There's a Southampton Trade Counter.

http://rswww.com Click on "Trade Counters"

"You can pre-order for collection at our Trade Counters by phone, fax or online or feel free to just call in. If you pre-order you'll know the products you need are in stock and we'll have them ready and waiting for you from as little as 15 minutes later."

I use the South Wales Trade Counter from time to time, with good results. It's meant to be trade only (which I am) but they don't seem to be too fussy.

There's a Southampton Trade Counter.

http://rswww.com Click on "Trade Counters"

"You can pre-order for collection at our Trade Counters by phone, fax or online or feel free to just call in. If you pre-order you'll know the products you need are in stock and we'll have them ready and waiting for you from as little as 15 minutes later."

I use the South Wales Trade Counter from time to time, with good results. It's meant to be trade only (which I am) but they don't seem to be too fussy.
Thank You (y) I missed that :eek: I was looking for the more obvious dealer locator and just failed to catch on to the terminology.

I'll pay them a visit (y)

@ Xen, Thanks (y)

I was hoping to stay clear of programming, I do the odd bit with work and it gets very frustrating with all the trial and error of AI routines. It's not my thing, I am more into the artistic and hands on style of things but I will get my hands dirty if I have to, especially if I can't find exactly what I need.
Nice bot Xen, I'm very impressed, especially the power of those weapons :eek:
that flamer is awesome (y) :worship: I was thinking of doing something similar with a Flame throwing Panzer IV, what you have done there would be perfect, I may be calling on you sometime in the future if you don't mind sharing your secrets ?

Back