Technical Antiroll bar positioning.. Help please.

Currently reading:
Technical Antiroll bar positioning.. Help please.

scudo joe

It started off by my Scudo veering drastically to the left.I went to the garage to have the tracking adjusted. They adjusted the trackingseveral times that day each time after test driving I brought it back to saythe problem has still there. The next mechanic that looked at it, noticed thatthere was no antiroll bar and diagnosed that was causing the van to veer to theleft.

So I bought a second hand ARB off ebay (came off a Peugeot Expert)I bought new bushes and stabiliser links. After then browsing the forum I came acrossother threads which mentioned worn wishbone bushes also causing an issue withthe van veering to one side. So I bought two new wishbones as well.

The last couple of days have been spent F’ing and blindingunder the van and fitting two new wishbones, ARB with new bushes and links and2 new track rods. I have a problem though, having not fitted the ARB before orhaving one on there in the first place I am unsure if it goes over the trackrods or under? When the ARB is above the track rods the stabiliser link willnot tighten down without pressing hard on the rods. When the ARB is placedunder the track rods, the track rods will not tighten down without putting seriouspressure on the ARB and potentially bending the track rods.

I have trawled through the forum to try and find an image ofthe ARB in situ to see exactly where things go in relation to track rods but I can not find one anywhere, I have alsolooked in the service manual downloadable on the forum and found nothing in there either. Google image search alsoprovided no results :( Would be grateful if someone can tell me what to do orwhat I’m doing wrong and if anyone can provide me with a picture or link to apicture that would be MOST appreciable!

Thanks.

Joe

[FONT=&quot]Thanks for your response. It’s a Scudo 1996 1.9TD I know it is strange,. Ive managed to find a service manual only problem its in German. From the technical drawings it looks like the ARB is situated under the track rods, although it is a bit hard to make out. If you wouldn’t mind confirming that would be great,
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’m also concerned that its going to put allot of pressure on the track rods when bolting them onto the hub.Because the ARB will be in the way. if someone has the chance to please post a picture or confirm.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is there a comprehensive manual available in English? Really having trouble to find one. The one I have found on the forum does not seem to be complete, . (I have d/l all 17 parts and unzipped as recommended) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks again.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Joe [/FONT]

See atatched photo. You can see how far off the track rod end are. is this normal? Should i be jacking up the hub untill it fits? Tried jacking it up and i did get allot closer but it would mean jacking it up quite allot. Withouth any refference manual to follow im unsure if this is the correct procedure? Also see atatched photo showing pictures i took from service manual. It is still not completely clear but it appears that the ARB is under the track rod? Desperately seeking advice so I can get back to work.. A one day sunday job has turned into a 3 day catastrophy :(
Thanks. Joe

Attachments

• track rod not connecting.jpg
    track rod not connecting.jpg
    894.1 KB · Views: 119
  • technical drawings ARB.png
    technical drawings ARB.png
    304.5 KB · Views: 102
It’s the 1996 model sorry I should have stated in my first post..i removed it completely today and went to the scrap yard to look at another one expert to see how the ARB was mounted. However the ARB was missing on that one too. The guy said it had just come in and hadn’t yet been touched so nobody would of taken it off already. Is it common for these not to have an ARB? The van is driving allot better with the new wishbones and track rod ends but it would be far better if I can work out why I cant mount the ARB. Thanks again for any help.

Ahh.., Thanks for a conclusive answer! But should it be possible to fit one? or are the earliest models not designed to have one? Thanks.

Yes you can fit one but it wont stop the van pulling to one side If you have put on new wishbones and track rod ends have a look at the strut spring had one break once and that pull to one side may also be rack the power steering one can get a problem and suddenly pull to one side hope that helps

Yes that is helpfull information thankyou, I will check what you have mentioned. However I am confused as to why I was unable to fit the ARB I tried fitting above the track rods and there was no way it was going to fit without bending them (see picture in post above) and I tried underneith the track rod where I had the opposite problem - the track rod would not fit. Could this be due to the strut spring? Is there a specific way to fit the ARB which i may not know? Im sorry if this may sound stupid but i have never had to fit one before and there is no guidance I have found. Withouth there being the old one in place there was nothing for me to follow. Can you confirm which way the ARB is supposed to be fitted? Many thanks. Joe.

Hi to get the ARB in you have to unbolt the rear of the subframe and lower a few inchs so that you can fit from the rear thats how i had to do mine it will not go in without ?

I got it in without dropping the subframe. and out again.. it was a pain to do and fidelly but got there eventually.. But as stated it doesnt seem to fit properly. You can see it in the pictuers in the above post colliding with the track rod? Did you fit it below or above the track rods?

Back