Anti-modification legistlation...

Currently reading:
Anti-modification legistlation...

Sorry if this has been covered already.
I did a quick search for it but it's difficult to know what to search for exactly...

Anti-modification proposal

From the ACE (Association of Car Enthusiasts) news item...

"... ACE has always been of the opinion that modifying of vehicles would eventually end by the ability to do so being slowly eroded by small pieces of legislation rather than one single regulation.

We have unfortunately now been proved correct with a single item before the EC parliament that will prevent any modifying and will, currently, render already modified cars illegal.

Without a large effort over the next 6 weeks this ’proposal’ will pass into law very shortly afterwards.

We have in our possession a questionnaire issued by DfT asking for views on the legislation and we feel it couldn’t make any clearer the end outcome.

This is NOT a Consultation document as there are no active documents via VOSA or DfT relating to this legislation.

Quoting from the DfT document:-

The Commission proposes to introduce a definition for a roadworthiness test that components of the vehicle must comply with characteristics at the time of first registration. This may prevent most modifications to vehicles without further approval of the vehicle. (this will apply to many components and to all types of vehicle)

The Commission proposes to change the definition of an Historic Vehicle that may be exempt from periodic testing. This may allow vehicles older than 30 years to be exempt from testing providing the vehicle has been maintained in its original condition, including its appearance..."

Is this for real ? I read though the link and can't heads or tails of it. After reading the act, it seems to talk about a test to check the roadworthiness of your vehicle, much like the UK's MOT test.

To me it sounds like when you take your vehicle to the test, it must be the same mechanically as it left the factory with everything working. Could mean the end to mods that increase performance e.g. engine tunes, faster exhaust, performance air fitlers etc...

I find it kind of hard to believe something like this could past into law, don't forget tens of thousands of people's livelyhoods and jobs depends on the modding scene.

Last edited:
just seen it on PH
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassin...=59041&nmt=Armageddon+for+modified+car+owners

the thing with stainless exhausts,people buy them not only to improve power But cos they last longer over factory steel. some exhausts are oe equivalant so thay might be fine? air filters,youd probably get away with panel filters still in the standard box? but other mods such as suspension and/or bodykits???

Having scanned through all 23 pages of the proposal it seems that for each modification you do to your car you would be required to obtain a new certificate of conformity.

Lowered = new MOT
New Alloy wheels = new MOT
Scratch your arse= new MOT

It's not to prevent all modifications but to take badly modified cars off the road.
Your green stuff brake pads or lowering springs will still in effect conform.

however your fibreglass body kit will not conform to the same safety standards as an OEM bumper

There has been quite a few high profile cases where people have been killed in badly maintained or highly modified cars, these tend to be as a result of serious alterations to steering or suspension components.

Having scanned through all 23 pages of the proposal it seems that for each modification you do to your car you would be required to obtain a new certificate of conformity.

Lowered = new MOT
New Alloy wheels = new MOT
Scratch your arse= new MOT

It's not to prevent all modifications but to take badly modified cars off the road.
Your green stuff brake pads or lowering springs will still in effect conform.

however your fibreglass body kit will not conform to the same safety standards as an OEM bumper

There has been quite a few high profile cases where people have been killed in badly maintained or highly modified cars, these tend to be as a result of serious alterations to steering or suspension components.

That was precisely my reading of it as well; the most the 'Brussels Beauracrats' will be able to do is put testing on non-TUV parts, like in Germany.

The good news is it would probably make it near-impossible to have undeclared modifications. Un-delcraed mods are a pain in the ass for anyone wishing to mod legitimately, because insurance company paranoia and stereotyping pushes up the price of insurance for those who declare everything.

My ex girlfriend used to hang with a lot modders, who regularly made a habit of not declaring mods. They all used to get pulled over a lot for acting like muppets, not declaring mods didnt do them any favours when the police decided to check the cars. ;) Not to be too stereotypical, but most people I've met who seem to cause trouble in cars don't declare their mods properly. :bang:

Plus if it sees the end to dangerously cut springs, ridiculously low suspension, badly fitted skewering chicken wire, dangerous blacked out lights and lack of reflectors, front tinted windows, under-sized mirrors or lack of mirrors, neon lights, etc....... then its a good thing. (y)

The Maz is fitted OEM alloys, so it sounds like it wont need re-assessing under new legilsation, but if needed to be checked I'd be more than happy to do this. I want to fit a set of Minilite-style wheels to my 500 eventually, again getting it checked wouldn't be a problem!

Last edited:
That was precisely my reading of it as well; the most the 'Brussels Beauracrats' will be able to do is put testing on non-TUV parts, like in Germany.

The good news is it would probably make it near-impossible to have undeclared modifications. Un-delcraed mods are a pain in the ass for anyone wishing to mod legitimately, because insurance company paranoia and stereotyping pushes up the price of insurance for those who declare everything.

My ex girlfriend used to hang with a lot modders, who regularly made a habit of not declaring mods. They all used to get pulled over a lot for acting like muppets, not declaring mods didnt do them any favours when the police decided to check the cars. ;) Not to be too stereotypical, but most people I've met who seem to cause trouble in cars don't declare their mods properly. :bang:

Plus if it sees the end to dangerously cut springs, ridiculously low suspension, badly fitted skewering chicken wire, dangerous blacked out lights and lack of reflectors, front tinted windows, under-sized mirrors or lack of mirrors, neon lights, etc....... then its a good thing. (y)

The Maz is fitted OEM alloys, so it sounds like it wont need re-assessing under new legilsation, but if needed to be checked I'd be more than happy to do this. I want to fit a set of Minilite-style wheels to my 500 eventually, again getting it checked wouldn't be a problem!

The only problem i can see it causing is having to pay everytime for rechecks, wouldnt mind if say insurance dropped on modded cars but i cant see that happening.

True that, although my reading of current German legislation is:
If a part being fitted is TUV approved then car does not need inspecting.

I'm sure there will be something similar to that UK, because it will reduce the scale of government 'quango' required for the rechecking of cars.

If I recall all parts manfuactured and sold by FK Automotive for example are TUV approved, but Silvatec bulbs for example aren't (last time I checked). There will be winners and losers.

Last edited:
uk cant do it to TÜV it will put a lot of uk business out of business. if they haven't intended their product to be sold in germany then they wont have had it TÜV approved. germany shouldn't be able to get away with it either unless we can have stuff that is just british standard approved. if not then every country should be sticking to the E mark

thnx god i live in greece:p:p:p
we can do anything we like and to the yearly car check that we must pass we can pass a fully moded car as factory:p
i can ever supercharge or put another engine and still be factory in the check :p

and the insuranse...:cool::cool: it doesnt matter if you are factory or modded...:cool::cool::cool:

There is n e-petition on the e-petition website - it also mentions that motorbikes older than 7 years will not be allowed in rural areas?

I think its the same legislation.

There is n e-petition on the e-petition website - it also mentions that motorbikes older than 7 years will not be allowed in rural areas?

I think its the same legislation.

WTF man are you doing there?(n)(n)(n)
are they insane?

WTF man are you doing there?(n)(n)(n)
are they insane?

I was signing the one to get Virgin rail back the contract they had, first are awful in comparison - and my daughterasked me to sign that one as she uses it.

Noticed the motorbike one as well as a few others that I agreed with.

Although I was not stupid enough to sign the one about not blocking piratebay :)

Could be worse, you could live in Denmark where car modifications are already illegal and because of new car tax and import taxes make even the crapiest 1.2 8v mk2 punto over £3500

thnx god i live in greece:p:p:p
we can do anything we like and to the yearly car check that we must pass we can pass a fully moded car as factory:p
i can ever supercharge or put another engine and still be factory in the check :p

and the insuranse...:cool::cool: it doesnt matter if you are factory or modded...:cool::cool::cool:

You obviously haven't grasped the reasons for them (the EU) pushing for EU wide regularity on testing procedures.
At the moment Greece is still in the EU.

You obviously haven't grasped the reasons for them (the EU) pushing for EU wide regularity on testing procedures.
At the moment Greece is still in the EU.

we still remean in greece... for every new law we have 10 loopholes :p:p

Back