Technical Another (!) problem with a Marea Weekend 1.9 JTD 110

Currently reading:
Technical Another (!) problem with a Marea Weekend 1.9 JTD 110

sfaoldun

Hi all, again. :p

The Marea (2001 1.9 JTD 110 SX Weekend) has developed another weird fault ... was wondering if anyone could shed any light on it, cos I am completely stumped -

Occasionally acceleration will drop off (if I'm on the motorway at 70 and I put my foot in the floor in 5th, the car will *refuse* to go any quicker, or if it does go quicker, it takes a good 20 or 30 seconds to get to 75). If I drop a gear and then shift back up it's like nothing had happened ... like I say, I'm completely stumped. :p

Oh, secondly, it judders like crazy at low speeds - what could be the cause of this?

Many thanks!

hi i think i have the same problem can some one tell me more about this maf sensor? what it does and how much it costs?
thanks for any help carl

Hi guys. The Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor is a delicate little thing that makes a big difference because of its important role. It tells the fuel system how much to inject in relative to the amount of air being sucked in. If it can't read properly because of being faulty or dirty, the fuel will only be given in small amounts, hence no OOOmph.

Look at your air filter box, follow the inlet pipe towards the engine. Entering the top of the pipe after a short distance you will see a connector clip fixed to something attatched by 2 torx screws. The connector has wires coming out the top of it and going to your ecu. Undo the 2 torx screws and pull out the sensor body. You will see a fine(ish) wire filament and a couple of slots where there is copper-like contact material. Take some electrical switch cleaner or isopropol and a small soft paint brush and thoroughly clean these even if they don't seem very dirty. Replace. Also, check your air filter while you're at it and replace if dirty. I did this to my sluggish JTD105 and it gained 20hp. Managed 0-60 in 10.85 secs. 0.2 secs better than road test. And 115 flat out. If you get no improvement, get one from a scrapyard or a new one.

But then monday I fitted a tuning chip from Abrieb in germany, bought for £64 including postage, and the car is transformed. I am truly amazed! 0-60 testing last night got it down to 8.9 secs!!!! And my car is the heavier weekend. Running 75% vegetable oil! I estimate it must now put out 135bhp/200+lbs/ft. It did 125mph at 4500rpm, and would do 130 no probs if I naughtily revved it to 5k in 5th.(y)

A green, mean, load carrying machine.

Running 75% vegetable oil! I estimate it must now put out 135bhp/200+lbs/ft. It did 125mph at 4500rpm, and would do 130 no probs if I naughtily revved it to 5k in 5th.(y)

A green, mean, load carrying machine.

Or buy a 2.4 JTD @ 136bhp/220lbft standard :p

remaps are fun (y)

You can test if it's the MAF by unplugging the wire (make sure it's not going to get damaged) and try driving. If the performance is returned then the MAF is faulty.

Back