Another Newbie!

Currently reading:
Another Newbie!

racjune53

Hi Everyone,
I own a Autotrail Cheyenne 590 motorhome on a Fiat Ducato 2.8 i.d.TD base born on 01/08/1998.
Believe it or not everything works as it should do!
However, despite being a basic vehicle to work on by todays computer controlled standards I have been unable to find a garage or mechanic who is willing to undertake a service. I am convinced that if they cannot plug it in to a laptop they are not interested!
So I have sourced air filter, oil filter, oil, diesel filter, & an oil sump sealing plug & seal and I am going to undertake the service myself. I used to dabble in this when I was much younger, however as one gets older it is easier to pay someone else to do it!
I found Fiat Forum whilst searching for any instructions which might help.
What I am about to do is pretty basic, but my next task will be to drain & renew the gearbox oil and replace the brake fluid. I notice that there are various threads which may prove useful!
Be warned that if I have any problems I will be back!

Hi Everyone,
I own a Autotrail Cheyenne 590 motorhome on a Fiat Ducato 2.8 i.d.TD base born on 01/08/1998.
Believe it or not everything works as it should do!
However, despite being a basic vehicle to work on by todays computer controlled standards I have been unable to find a garage or mechanic who is willing to undertake a service. I am convinced that if they cannot plug it in to a laptop they are not interested!
So I have sourced air filter, oil filter, oil, diesel filter, & an oil sump sealing plug & seal and I am going to undertake the service myself. I used to dabble in this when I was much younger, however as one gets older it is easier to pay someone else to do it!
I found Fiat Forum whilst searching for any instructions which might help.
What I am about to do is pretty basic, but my next task will be to drain & renew the gearbox oil and replace the brake fluid. I notice that there are various threads which may prove useful!
Be warned that if I have any problems I will be back!
hey..same base. New to me in jan - trial by fire just took it to south of france and all was perfect! First MOT next week - i'll be doing things myself like you, so will follow this thread. good luck!

hey..same base. New to me in jan - trial by fire just took it to south of france and all was perfect! First MOT next week - i'll be doing things myself like you, so will follow this thread. good luck!
eBay has proved to be the source of everything required which is being delivered over this weekend. Re your MOT - I checked the MOT history online to see if there was any historical trends re failures or advisories. Mine had windscreen washer failures more than once which was down to dodgy electrical connections, easily cured! Fingers crossed for the MOT - it is a great feeling when a 23 year old sails through!😁

Fiat Ducato 14 2.8 i.d.TD 230 122hp 1998

[According to howmanyleft.co.uk there are 5 taxed & 5 SORNED vehicles with this engine registered with DLVA as at Q3 2021]

Please note that I have failed to track down a workshop manual for this particular engine therefore my notes may prove useful to a few of you. Apologies if you find it basic info, however I know what I have had to do to bring all of this together!
This service was triggered by the “Water in Diesel Fuel Filter” dashboard light staying on. Investigation showed a number of possible causes:-
  • water contaminated fuel from a garage [possible]
  • fuel filler cap not replaced correctly allowing rain ingress [discounted]
  • low fuel level in tank during winter allowing air in tank to condensate [most likely as fuel tank was only 1/4 full when SORN]
  • a faulty “water in diesel fuel” sensor [possible]
I had previously decided to undertake a long overdue service at the same time as investigating this fault.

The top of the air filter housing was unclipped [3 clips] and and the filter removed [Note the lug just left of front centre to ensure correct refitting. All of the jubilee clips were loosened on the air hose, then the 3 nuts at the inside bottom of the air filter housing were removed. Disconnect the air hoses from the air filter housing and then remove it. [Side note: This is also how to gain easy access to the windscreen washer pump and its electric connections.]
The diesel fuel filter which is situated behind the air filter can now be accessed. Disconnect the sensor electric plug connector from the loom and then unscrew the “water in diesel fuel filter” sensor from the bottom of the filter to drain water/fuel from the filter. I wedged an ice cream container under to catch the fuel, however in hindsight it is probably easier to just unscrew the filter and retain the water/fuel within it and then unscrew the sensor afterwards. I transferred the water/fuel to a jam jar to allow for separation to take place to show the water contamination, however none evident after 24 hrs!
The new diesel fuel filter [MAHLE KC38] had the white drain plug removed from the base, and the sensor was screwed into the base to replace it. The filter was replaced, tightened to hand tight + 1/4 turn.
The air filter housing, air filter hoses, and new air filter [FEBI BILSTEIN 22611] were replaced.
The fuel filter was then primed by turning on the ignition to position 1 for 20 secs, turn off, wait, then repeat. Then started engine, slight splutter then engine ran smoothly as normal.
Before visiting a garage to top up fuel tank I poured 3 capfuls [1 capful per 25 litres of fuel - 80 litre tank] of Anti-Bacterial Diesel Additive. I found an article recommending this in “Commercial Vehicle Workshop” periodical for all diesel vehicles laid up for long periods e.g. motorhomes!
Fuel tank was topped up, 20 mile run to ensure thorough mixing, however water in diesel fuel light remains on - now looking at replacing sensor if light continues to remain on [eBay has an OE replacement].
Engine oil which was now hot had 500ml of Engine Flush added and engine left to idle for 10 mins. Engine sump drain plug had been “cracked” the previous day to ensure that it could be removed easily [12mm hexagonal drain plug socket + torque wrench for leverage]. Engine oil/flush was drained and new drain plug and copper seal ring fitted.
Engine oil filter was removed and replaced with a new filter [MANN-FILTER WP1144] and tightened to hand tight + 1/4 turn.
Engine refilled with 6 litres of SAE 10W/40 SS engine oil [5.4 litres sump/ 0.6 litres filter].
Checked 24 hours later - no sign of any oil drips!
I will continue to post my future tasks as/when undertaken.

Back