General Another happy new Stilo driver

Currently reading:
General Another happy new Stilo driver

sj19

Hi, I just bought a 1.6 dynamic 5dr 2002 65k miles, now i've only had it for less than a week and its the best Fiat i've had so far if not the best car i've ever driven. I cant believe how little it cost me and what a great car i've got. A rusty focus, golf astra would have cost me far more and got less.

I read some bad reviews about them which almost put me off but then people only ever say when something goes wrong, i know fiats have niggly problems but are usually very reliable.

I've only ever had Fiats first a 1.2 Punto 75 when I started driving then a Coupe 20v Turbo, now that i'm approaching 30s i needed something more grown up so now the Stilo! ...Much more refined, 1.6 engine is excellent, gear change super smooth, ride very comfy i love it!! It's surprisingly quick and clean off the line too and thats coming from a 20V turbo driver!! I've driven the focus and astra, which are way over rated. The only thing I prefer was the driving position in the focus, Stilo 5dr driving position feels a bit high and MPV like compared to focus but the 3dr Stilo is more sporty i believe.

Ok ill admit there are one or two minor electrical probs to be sorted, drivers door mirror heated function, CD changer and trip computer. But i can probably sort them in a weekend.

One happy Stilo driver.

It would seem our OP has been a Lurker on the forum for a while. Welcome to the Stilo fold. (y)
The only real major problem with the 1.6 is that dodgy old gear box. If yours is going smoothly that would suggest a possibilty that its not long been replaced.
I used to dislike the 1.6's hesitation to pull off at low revs, apart from that its was lovely to drive on dual carriageways and Mways.

If you ever get bored of that engine, i would seriously consider geting a 3 door GP Schumacher. The MPG isnt good but not bad if you dont rag it and the drive is far far superior.
I know that seems a bit off topic but it sounds like you want a more refined and adult car to drive. The GP Schumi is exactly that. When i was looking at a new car i was looking for one that feels better than my dads 5 series BMW. After taking my dads car for a long run the other other day, i have to say i prefer the Schumi.
I got the car on 05 Plate for £3500 back in January. It did need a little bit of dent removal and respraying. £500 But now it almost looks like a new car :devil:

It would seem our OP has been a Lurker on the forum for a while. Welcome to the Stilo fold. (y)
The only real major problem with the 1.6 is that dodgy old gear box. If yours is going smoothly that would suggest a possibilty that its not long been replaced.
I used to dislike the 1.6's hesitation to pull off at low revs, apart from that its was lovely to drive on dual carriageways and Mways.

If you ever get bored of that engine, i would seriously consider geting a 3 door GP Schumacher. The MPG isnt good but not bad if you dont rag it and the drive is far far superior.
I know that seems a bit off topic but it sounds like you want a more refined and adult car to drive. The GP Schumi is exactly that. When i was looking at a new car i was looking for one that feels better than my dads 5 series BMW. After taking my dads car for a long run the other other day, i have to say i prefer the Schumi.
I got the car on 05 Plate for £3500 back in January. It did need a little bit of dent removal and respraying. £500 But now it almost looks like a new car :devil:

I think the one thing the Shumi lacks is a six-speed gearbox. The 2.4 produces so much torque, it really needs another cog in my view. I believe the Lancia Thesis 2.4 had such a box fitted to the 5-cylidner engine. Maybe one day...

The only thing is (now somebody correct me if im wrong) but up until now 6 speed boxes have only been ratio'd differently in the top gears. This is why they are used on small engines. I.e you cruise the Mway in 6th, the traffic slows down so you drop to 5th to pick back up speed. This makes it more of a fuel efficient option than dropping to 4th on a 5 speed box. And not a problem for bigger higher torque engines.
I think its only recently with the BM's Merks and such like that are using fully re ratiod boxes.
Anyway long story short the box you are talking about wouldn't help schumi. You want extra revs lower down the gearing. Like the 1.6 the engine lacks power at below 2.5-3k revs. On the Mway if you find your doing 2.5k to 3k in 5th you are into 4th gear territory anyway. After that and the torque is enough to carry you with instantaneous power.
Did any of that make sense lol.

The issue with the 1.6 gearbox is that a pin has an unfortunate tendency to fall out of the diff and then get trapped in the gears with devastating consequences :eek:

This is not a forgone conclusion and it's reasonable to argue that if it hasn't yet fallen out then it may well never do so. Equally it has to be said it may fall out at any time especially if the box is subjected to undue stress.

1.6 gearboxes don't simply 'wear out' as such.

The issue with the 1.6 gearbox is that a pin has an unfortunate tendency to fall out of the diff and then get trapped in the gears with devastating consequences :eek:

This is not a forgone conclusion and it's reasonable to argue that if it hasn't yet fallen out then it may well never do so. Equally it has to be said it may fall out at any time especially if the box is subjected to undue stress.

1.6 gearboxes don't simply 'wear out' as such.

There is nothing the service record to suggest a new g/box has been fitted but a bit worrying having that in the back of my head all the time! How often does this problem occur e.g 1 in 100 1 in 10??!!

I'm usually quite gentle when swapping cogs although I do like to drive hard every now and again, I always try not to bang the clutch up hard and match the revs to the road speed. I know some people who've destroyed a few gearboxes in other cars so it might just depend on the driving style.

I know what you mean about pulling away at low revs, the engine seems to need good rpms and good clutch control to avoid bogging down and avoid stalling, however it does pull away fast if you use plenty revs - don't like doing this to the clutch though.

Your right though i was looking for a more sensible practical car, went for the 1.6 5dr as it was in good nick and cost me next to nothing. A Shumi edition would have been over my budget + they dont come in 5dr, might consider one later..surley they have a much firmer setup (i've had enough of crashy ride, my boy racer days are over and i need a comfy commuter!!) If I get bored of the 1.6 I might putting my coupe back on the road!!

Last edited:
There is nothing the service record to suggest a new g/box has been fitted but a bit worrying having that in the back of my head all the time! How often does this problem occur e.g 1 in 100 1 in 10??!!

I'm usually quite gentle when swapping cogs although I do like to drive hard every now and again, I always try not to bang the clutch up hard and match the revs to the road speed. I know some people who've destroyed a few gearboxes in other cars so it might just depend on the driving style.
I've got no idea what the statistics are at all but like you I do tend to think style of driving does impact reliability.

What is important, I gather, is to stop driving the moment you hear any strange noises from the gearbox/diff as it's going to be cheaper to fix before the casing is destroyed.

If it bothers you then you could always take out a warranty (which of course will then guarantee you never get any gearbox issues ;))

I've got no idea what the statistics are at all but like you I do tend to think style of driving does impact reliability.

My 1.6 gearbox is soon 9 years old. It has driven at heavy load and enthusiastic driving at all time. :D The car's been used with a 1000 kg trailer pretty much, 5 persons, fully loaded boot and with an ugly box attached to the roof. The clutch has been smelling pretty bad at times, especially when reversing this particular trailer uphill. So I'd say it's a great gearbox and clutch. I have to mention it has slipped one time, and that was 3 years ago when accelerating from standstill, 2nd gear kind of never got engaged until I let go of the throttle. I'm still waiting for the box to become a metal cereal.

M.

a bit worrying having that in the back of my head all the time! How often does this problem occur e.g 1 in 100 1 in 10??!!

From several previous threads, there doesn't seem to be any pattern as to when, or if, the problem will occur. It seems to be just "luck of the draw" whether the pin drops out or not.

There have been several part number changes for the 1.6 gearbox but it's not possible to tell if, or when, a modification was made to secure the pin better.

I think a lot of my problem with the gear box was self inflcted. Having only driven small cars I was used to revving before lifting the clutch. Also I threw it into revers. So I would say if you treat the gears well they should be fine. If the gear box does deteriorate then as you said you got the car much much cheaper than anything equivelant. 500 notes for a new gear box isn't going to be the end of the world.

The Schumacher does have slightly stiffer suspention but it's by no means teeth chattering. It's been done enough to do away with a lot of the roll but still comfortable.
I'm not lying when I say I prefer driving Schumi to my dads 08 3l 5 series.

My 1.6 gearbox is soon 9 years old. It has driven at heavy load and enthusiastic driving at all time. :D The car's been used with a 1000 kg trailer pretty much, 5 persons, fully loaded boot and with an ugly box attached to the roof. The clutch has been smelling pretty bad at times, especially when reversing this particular trailer uphill. So I'd say it's a great gearbox and clutch. I have to mention it has slipped one time, and that was 3 years ago when accelerating from standstill, 2nd gear kind of never got engaged until I let go of the throttle. I'm still waiting for the box to become a metal cereal.

M.

That's good to know!

Can someone tell me what the electrical buzzing noise is from behind the instrument cluster when turning the ignition key to MAR??

Back