Technical another dumb-ish question - induction systems

Currently reading:
Technical another dumb-ish question - induction systems

ronnieronson

Bring On The Trumpets!
The factory aibox sits on top of the block - mine with an ITG pro race foam filter installed.
(Mine's mpi btw).

If I install an induction kit (gsr style) obviously I'm moving the filter away from the biggest heat source, hopefully to take up cooler air from an intake pipe.

I know this will potentially mean that the air entering the engine will be cooler, which will allow the engine to breath better - but will it make the engine run hotter?
Had (and IMO am still having) enough problems with the engine running rather warm (hg failure, and now fan kicking in fairly frequently since), so I dont want to do anything that will cause more issues.

Any thoughts? :confused:

I'd make shure the engines in perfect running order first, before any attempt at tuning...

oh she runs well enough now - needs new ht leads, and would benefit from a new rad some point before next summer - but apart from that she's fairly good :)

It's only £5 ;) :D buy it and enjoy...don't worry so much (y)

Kristian

£5???

You tell me where I can get a gsr for a fiver and ile order 50! lol

I presume you refer to the k&n in classifieds - dont really want something sat on my tb - if i was gonna do that i may as well keep the stock airbox and cold feed :p

its just occurred to me - this has gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic.

Will induction make my engine run hotter?

Yes, an 'open' design kit like the one you've seen on ebay (I've seen them so I know which you mean), will make your car run a bit hotter, as the filter is sucking in only hot engine bay air.

You would need to, at the very least, shield the cone from the hot air and duct some cold air from the front of the car to blow 'over' the cone, in a similar way to how the K&N 57i kits do, but induction systems have moved on since then and the top makers all now offer 'sealed cold air ram effect' systems as their top of the range kits.

tbh if you've got a free flow filter element in your current airbox and are supplying it with a good source of cold air, it is working quite effectively already and you won't gain anything by fitting one of these kits (if you just fit it as it is without any cold air source) - if anything you can loose power from what you have now.

To save me having to go all over the 'sealed cold air induction systems' thing again, if you go into my profile page and bring up my past threads & posts, you'll see I've written a lot on the subject in the last few weeks, which might help you out (y)

Yes, an 'open' design kit like the one you've seen on ebay (I've seen them so I know which you mean), will make your car run a bit hotter, as the filter is sucking in only hot engine bay air.

You would need to, at the very least, shield the cone from the hot air and duct some cold air from the front of the car to blow 'over' the cone, in a similar way to how the K&N 57i kits do, but induction systems have moved on since then and the top makers all now offer 'sealed cold air ram effect' systems as their top of the range kits.

tbh if you've got a free flow filter element in your current airbox and are supplying it with a good source of cold air, it is working quite effectively already and you won't gain anything by fitting one of these kits (if you just fit it as it is without any cold air source) - if anything you can loose power from what you have now.

To save me having to go all over the 'sealed cold air induction systems' thing again, if you go into my profile page and bring up my past threads & posts, you'll see I've written a lot on the subject in the last few weeks, which might help you out (y)

Yeah I read your posts before - some useful info there.

As far as air supply to my existing air filter goes, it does get some air - but the intake pipe doesn't go quite where I thought it did (I thought it sucked air in from under the passenger side headlight through a little grill - which it sort of does, but via the bumper mould - which is not as effective as it could be...).

I guess the second reason why I've been concidering induction, other than performance, is engine noise.
I was very happy with the induction kit i used on my old cinq - seemed to make a big difference power wise, but it did cause the old chappy to run hotter - which is kinda why this thread came about in the first place...

its not funny,mine is killing me

lol, well if I had £98 for a sportex then I would be more than willing to help you out - but since the money tree got cut down and chopped into bits, funds have been a little dry (that little H/g problem didn't help too much either :p )

Back