Annoying (fake?) 'Messenger Service' Windows - how to stop?

Currently reading:
Annoying (fake?) 'Messenger Service' Windows - how to stop?

Have just done a totally fresh install on my new(er) PC.

1. Installed Windows 2000 Professional and had it format the hard drive.
  2. Installed Win2K Service Pack 4.
  3. Installed IE6 (Win2K only comes with IE5)
  4. Installed Zone Alarm Firewall.
  5. Installed and connected to the internet via Tiscali broadband.

Now I keep getting these annoying 'Windows Messenger' windows appearing telling me that that my registry is corrupt (blah, blah, blah) and 'Damanged' (yes, it was spelt like that) and that I need to go to a particular website to download their program to 'fix' it. I get a number of these windows which are all a variation of each other and with different website addresses to go to for the 'fix' that will also stop the annoying message windows from appearing. Obviously it is a nasty ploy to put annoying stuff on your PC (don't know how they did it), then get you to buy their product to eradicate it.

The web address that I am told to go to is: www.registrycleanerxp.com

I won't buy/ try their product as it will probably A: cost money and/ or B: infect my computer with spyware/ adware.

How can I get rid of the damn things, and how on EARTH did it get onto my machine during a fresh install????????

Oh, I have a pic of one of the offending pop ups that I've attached. Really doing my head in as thies was supposed to be a totally fresh install :bang:

Attachments

• Annoying Messenger.jpg
    Annoying Messenger.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 72
Was the PC connected to the internet during the reinstallation or immediately after, i.e. before you installed AV software etc?

chaos said:
Was the PC connected to the internet during the reinstallation or immediately after, i.e. before you installed AV software etc?

I made sure everything was installed first, including all updates, and that the firewall was switched on before connecting to the internet.

I've done what Alex and Stuart recommended and switched off the messenger service (cheers for the advice guys (y) ). Seems to have done the trick so far... But is it actually needed at all? Is it ok to switch it off all the time? What was the purpose of windows messenger?

Bloody hackers and spammers ruining the internet! :mad:

Liam said:
You need to block ports 139-445.

Liam

I switched it off as recommended and no more pop ups! So far... :p

When I asked what Messenger was meant for, I meant did it actually serve a purpose for informing the user of important stuff for Windows? Or is it something that isn't needed at all?

Also, how does the message pop up on my computer from outside my firewall, as apparently that's how it works?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand it better!

And Liam, why do I need to block ports 139-445? :confused: I've switched off messenger and it seems to have done the trick!

Cos Messenger can inform you of useful stuff, spam gets in through the low ports passed the ports.

Kinda like taking the battery out of a smoke alarm, it ain't fixing the problem just removing the warning.

Liam

There's a rather nifty little freeware prog that will stop this. It's dead easy to use: it has just two buttons, "disable" and "enable"!

It's called ShootTheMessenger, go to http://www.grc.com to download it. Lots of other useful little utilities there too :)

The 'Messenger' service is really for Network admin and is useful for informing everyone on the network about certain events.

In college me and a mate sent the message "There has been a fault, please turn off your computers, Do Not save your work" to all three sites spread over 8 miles :D

The whole IT Suite we were in made a simultaneous "Gasp" sound and some proceded to switch off without hesitation... and did not save their work :p

Trancendental said:
The 'Messenger' service is really for Network admin and is useful for informing everyone on the network about certain events.

In college me and a mate sent the message "There has been a fault, please turn off your computers, Do Not save your work" to all three sites spread over 8 miles :D

The whole IT Suite we were in made a simultaneous "Gasp" sound and some proceded to switch off without hesitation... and did not save their work :p

*Chas is glad that Trans won't be at his University causing the entire IT section to shut down* :p

Trans, you EVIL man! :devil:

As my PC is not networked I suspect that it will be ok to leave Messenger switched off. Had no problems since doing that, so I'll keep it off for the time being as I don't know how to disable the ports as Liam suggests :eek:

Back