Anchoring down a petrol can in the boot

Currently reading:
Anchoring down a petrol can in the boot

AppleSei

RIP L181 VBB
Can anyone think of a good/safe way of doing this?

Its only a small 5l petrol can, proper plastic can with spout etc, not a homemade job

Its currently empty and its rolling around the boot, banging into everything and doing my nut in

Filling it up will weigh it down, but dont want it tipping over and leaking and it will still move to some degree

I bought some velcro strips off ebay, cut them to size and stuck some onto can and planned to stick the other velocro bit to the boot carpet

I thought i was a genius but that didnt work as it wouldnt stick to the carpet and now im stumped

Any ideas?

Do what I do...have so much crap in the boot it can't roll around lol.

saves on the need for lowering springs too ;)

Another option is to fit two riv nuts spaced slightly further apart than the cans length then screw in 2 metric screw eyes and use a small elasticated strap?

i use this method to set them in place

http://fjr1300.info/howto/rivnut-tool.html

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/429481795/JIS_1168_eye_bolt.html

then if you need to fold the seats flat its a 2 second job to unwind the eyelets and you still have a flat load area

i use a bungee cord connected to whatever points your boot has

Make sure its long enough to stretch easily to your filler cap, you don't want it twanging back into your boot whilst the lid is off.

Mines empty, I'm guessing AppleSei is as well?

Yeah its empty no plans to go up in flames just yet

I would only fill it if i was going somewhere i wasnt familiar with the surroundings then fill it upon arrival regardless

Says the one with 7kg of callor gas in the rear crumple zone :p

You know full well that the force required to rupture that is as such that if I'm in the car when that force is sustained, the explosion will be the least of my worries :p

Petrol cans are ok if empty, new and unused, but once they've had product in the fumes they contain will be very volatile. Especially if there is a slight residue of fuel in them.

Back