An embarrassing question I'm sure!

Currently reading:
An embarrassing question I'm sure!

OK I have to admit that this will probably be like asking you guys how to open a can of coke or something, but the fact is, I have tried to find the answer, but failed.
Here goes:
I have an excel spreadsheet with names of companies and the value of sales made to them last year and this year to date.
The list is in alphabetical order but I want to put it in to descending numerical order, based on the sales made to them this year to date. So in other words, re-order the year to date column in descending order, but keep the correct name attached.
Yes I know that's basic, but when I went to school we used slide rules and log tables !:eek:
Any help gratefully received. Thanks.

Eklipze3k

No strings on me
Staff member
What version of Excel are you using?

In any version up to 2003, Data > Sort, make sure it's got the relevant table selected, choose which column you want to sort by and whether ascending or descending. Done!

OP
OP
P
It is 2000 I think, but if I do it on my laptop that is 2003 ( I am so up to date!)
I know how to put the numbers in to numerical order, but how do I keep the name and number value correctly attached to each other?
I mean if:
Customer A is £7000
Customer B is £5000
Customer C is £10000
then I would want the list to come out as:
Customer C £10000
Customer A £7000
Customer B £5000

Eklipze3k

No strings on me
Staff member
It should do that as part of the sort function automatically:

excel1.JPG
excel2.JPG
excel3.JPG

The Beard

Had me worried there for a moment when I saw the title of this thread POC. Bit of a relief that it was about computers

Last edited:

The Beard

Thanks for the concern Beard.
I get the doctor to answer my really embarrassing questions, on behalf of a friend of course :)
Don't forget matey, if you need advice on impotence, urinary incontinence or any other ailment that may affect us chaps as we get older, just post them on here and no-one will tell a soul...............probably. ;)