Amp protection always comes on

Currently reading:
Amp protection always comes on

Ucof

Powered by Bacon.
  • What equipment do you have?
Standard Sony headunit, a Juice amp, 4"Pioneers in front, Ministry of Sound 6x9s in the parcel shelf and a JBL sub in the boot

• What exactly is the problem? For example, do any lights come on, is there a distorted sound, etc.
When I connect the Remote cable from the radio to the amp (the wire that tells the amp that the radio is on, and to turn itself on), the "Prot" (auto protection cut out) light comes on and there is no sound to the sub or the 6x9s.

• Have you made any recent changes to your system?
This is a re-install after I took it out (I think I had the same problem then) but the main thing is that is has worked fine in the exact same setup in this vehicle and in another one previously.

• Have you checked anything to try and eliminate them, e.g. have you checked your earthing point(s)?
Earths have been checked (it sparks so there is a good circuit), checked the inline fuse as well as the fuse on the back of the amp, checked polarities and checked connections.

Any idea what's going on with this?
The power light on the amp comes on, so there is power getting to it, and the manual says that it has "thermal, over-voltage and short circuit" protection, but none of these seem to be happening.

Im stumped. :bang:

Can post up a circuit diagram if needed.

Last edited:
:D It's good to know that people read what I write.

First question I'll ask is - what gauge cabling are you using for the power/earth, what is the current rating of your amp/what spec is the amp?

OK, so it shouldn't be suffering from voltage drop. The next thing to try if you can is to fit another amp and see if that works, or try the amp in another car. It's posible that the amp has failed internally and has caused a short.

Unfortunately, there is no chance of that :(

Don't know anyone around here with another amp to test out :(

• What equipment do you have?
Standard Sony headunit, a Juice amp, 4"Pioneers in front, Ministry of Sound 6x9s in the parcel shelf and a JBL sub in the boot

The amp i would say is dead, i had one a ja590 which killed its selfs and my sub!! Ive had 2 of the ja590s now and both laster about 5 month before dieing on me! Juice amps id stay away

Oh dear :(
Thats doesn't sound promising.

I'm going to try hooking it up tomorrow without any speakers connected, and then with the positive cable into the remote turn on rather than the rem-in port and see what happens.

Basically, I'm going to have a fiddle :D

Hmm..
Im starting to wonder if it could possibly be the radio on which the audio out ports have stopped working on.

I connected the sub directly into the radio and there seemed to be no output at all.

I now have all the speakers directly connected into the radio outputs so at least I have 4.1 sound.

WIll ask at work tomorrow if anyone has an amp in their car I could try.
Stupidly, I should have tried to plug an mp3 player or something into the amp rather than the radio (3.5mm to phono cable) to see if the prot light still came on, but it is all disconnected now :(

Back