General Am I Screwed?!

Currently reading:
General Am I Screwed?!

Frannybum

About an hour ago, i snapped my red key, my only key, in my car door :(

Does anyone know of anyway i could get it out and have it intact so that i can 'no more nails' it back together just so i can get home from work.

Its a Punto 55 S '97 and only came with the red key when i bought it a month ago. I have been meaning to get the blue keys cut, but until now i haven't been able to afford it, NOW THIS HAPPENS! :(

Any help would be appreciated as i am a girl, working in a dodgy area who will have to leave the key in the car door and walk home tonight :(

Thanks in advance :(

Franny

if you take the door card off you might be able to push the key out from the back using a pin, i wouldn't recommend glueing the key back together and trying to start the car as it would most prob brake and be stuck in the ignition barrel, you could always call out a locksmith and they will cut you a new key from whats left of the old one it cost me £45 when i had to

i would recommend you call out your car breakdown company, and see what they can do. They may not be able to remove the key, but they will be able to tow you and the car home (y)

Ok i got the door open, so now i need to somehow undo the inside of the door, so that all i can see is the frame of the door????

is this right???

Do you think that if i manage to get the rest of the key out, if i take it to timpsons or something they will be able to make me a new one?

Thanks

Problem you have, is all "blue keys" need to be coded into your ignition/ecu. You first need to have the red key intact for the sequence to happen. You will prob need the car recovering. sorry for your predicament.

Andy.

Problem you have, is all "blue keys" need to be coded into your ignition/ecu. You first need to have the red key intact for the sequence to happen. You will prob need the car recovering. sorry for your predicament.

Andy.

i dont think so, the coded bit of the key is actauly a little capsule inside the red bit of the key. So as long as she has that they should be able to make a new red key?

the signals not transferred throguh the metal of the key? :chin:

yes defanatly,

it is sometimes pricey to get a spare coded made up £45-90 each.

but now the worst that could happen is you need a new:-

lockset
ignition barrel
black box thing
ecu
and then new keys aswell.
which at new prices will cost more than your car is worth#
used scrappy stuff, looking sub £40 for a 55

some needle nose pliers and some patience *might* get it out.
when you do, it is possible to recode a new key, however copying the key part may be tricky.

IF you get the code bit copied, and a new/used lockset and ign barrel, I THINK you can copy the old code onto a new set of keys with new barrels whilst using OLD (your current) ecu and black box.
that SHOULD work

its not as bad as it sounds,you still have both halves of the key for cutting and cloning.

plenty of patience will be needed to remove the key shaft ,try those mini electrical screwdrivers form the poundshop and or narrow nose pliers.as a last resort hacksaw the barrel apart along the length(not width!)of the barrel then prise it with a screwdriver.have funn!!

ive acctually jus had to have a new lock set and barrel, ive used my old key to bypass the imobilsor, ive used cling film 2 wrap my old broken key inside the sensor ring and hid it under the dash, its wel class :) saves me gettin keys programmed at the mo, but in the mean time, are u sayin i can pop the black chips out inside and swop them???? thanks

Back