Technical alternator think it haz gon :(

Currently reading:
Technical alternator think it haz gon :(

shiftycinq

hi all its me i have a 899cc cinq i think the alternator haz gon cu putt i noticed the other day my lights were dim so i charged my battery problem soled or so i thort but how wrong was i yesterday when driving back from Dudley my lights went dim and my injection light came on then indicators would make car like jolt and they were very slow and dim then when i pulled off my car died no electrics at all thankfully i had dun over 400miles and managed to get a member of the family to run me out a spare battery then same thing happens today i have had enough now could sum 1 tell me 1ce and for all if it is the alternator or the battery or wot it could b as im getting fed up with it being more like a ford than a fiat :D hope fully sum 1 on hear can help me out if it is the alternator would a cinq sporting 1 or punto 1 fit on ?? or would it have to be a 899cc cinq alternator ?????

using an 899 alt would be better does sound like its dead but a quick test with a volt meter would confirm this, when the engine idles it should create 13.5-14V if its higher than 15V or bellow 12.5V consider it dead

if you live near the Worksop, Notts Area i could come out tomorrow to you and give you a hand diagnosing.

thanks m8 my dad check it with an amp meter the other day he sead it was running at content 14 v but just made him an offer on the alt on eBay so hopefully ill win it not very happy as have no car :( as cant drive it :(

Hi
had a problem with my cinq, couple of weeks ago, car died whilst driving, same thing, dim lights, warning light for injector then cut out, battery light only came on just b4 it died, battery flat. (got home via Britannia rescue) When I put my multi meter on the alternator the volts were all over the place, but never went above 12.2 The problem was the auxillary drive belt ( belt that drives the alternator) it had seen better days and was slipping, once changed the alt is steady just over 14v and the battery is charging fine.

Nb my battery was in good nick i knew, but worth getting it checked

regards
maxy

well im gonna bye a belt and see if it duz the trick because i know it slips i can hear that sounds like i have a cat under my bonnet so if that don't work ill bye the alt

if your anywhere near taunton somerset ive probably got an 899 alternator sitting hear but im sure its the same as a 1.1 or go and get yours reconned. if the belt is slipping take the belt off and check to see if the alternator turns freely if it doesnt then a new alt is required if it does it will just be a tension needed

huh i don't under stand dave i rev it and it goes but thing is it seems like there is not enough power in the car to keep me going it is very dangerous to drive with no lights let alone stupidly illegal

huh i don't under stand dave i rev it and it goes but thing is it seems like there is not enough power in the car to keep me going it is very dangerous to drive with no lights let alone stupidly illegal

Read the article in my last post. You may have the voltage but not the amps.

iv had several alternators play up with me on 1108's but instead of paying like 50 euro for a new 1 i take them apart and try fix them :D
i find in about 90% of the cases iv had the bushes have worn down, the alternator im running at the moment has bushes fitted from an old circular saw, a few minutes with a soldering iron and maybe another few with a dremel to shape the bushings and your sorted, if you find your bushes are worn right down pm me and il tell you what to do with them ;)

Back