Alternator noise

Currently reading:
Alternator noise

kkandler

I just bought a Pioneer P88RSII headunit. After installation it´s suffering from a lot of alternator noise (changing with the engine revs). The noise isn´t there when the engine is turned off.
My signal cables are running on the passenger side and the powerline on the drivers side.
The strange thing is that when i connect my older HU (a Pioneer P5100UB) there´s no noise at all.
Any ideas of a solution to this problem?

Lol welcome to the club of 88RS ownership. Basically something called the earth tracks have gone. If the unit is new then it should be fixed on the warrenty or if out of warrenty then aparently any Mobile Audio repair place will be able to do it for around £30.
I didn't realise how cheap it was to do and I just wraped wire around the barrels of the RCA, sealed with electrical tape and spliced into the hu's Earth wire. I have been Reading a conversation about this very same problem and many people say you can just earth the rca's to the chassis of the hu.

You should check that your system is fine. The problem is caused by voltage being sent down the rca's and the pioneer has a defence mechanism to stop this ruining the hu. I spose it's a bit like blowing a fuse.
Thi can happen by connecting RCA to an amp with power but no earth.

Ok. I´ve been reading about it in different forums now. I don´t want to wait for the repair so i´m going to try the RCA to ground fix.

Corrected. (y)

Thanks. Yes, naming it a "fix" is not correct. :) I´ve done it now. Connected RCA´s to ground (black wire) and to the chassis of the HU. Now there´s no noise at all. But it still sucks that i my HU is actually broken. If i want to sell it later on, i have to pay for the repair, since i have no warranty left...

Well a lot of them do it. It's a pain in the ass but it's te way they are it seems. There is the begginings of a investigation whether it will go anywhere I don't know but I can let you know how it go's

Well a lot of them do it. It's a pain in the ass but it's te way they are it seems. There is the begginings of a investigation whether it will go anywhere I don't know but I can let you know how it go's

Sounds interesting. Please let me know if you hear anything. Would be nice if they decide to repair the units that are out of warranty.

Thanks in advance!

Back