Technical Alternator Belt?

Currently reading:
Technical Alternator Belt?

arseofbox

Principality Retained :)
My Sporting seems to be having difficulty idling with the alternator under load.

It idles perfectly with the lights off, but with the sidelights or dipped beam on it appears to struggle to maintain a steady idle, adopting an erratic idle like a cat's purr. This causes the exhaust to rub slightly, and its doing my head in. Also, if yu try to openj the windows at idle, at the bottom of the travel, the lights dim and the engine tone changes implying it has to work harder to idle.

It doesnt make any squealing noises or anything, just idles erratically..I'm thinking the belt is too tight!

Tom (AofB)

GrpN Catback Exhaust system is here...just need to get the bleeder on now!!

Is that me or James?

I was beginning to wonder when A Level Physics would crop up again;)

Tom (AofB)

Nah,its OK, mines probably the same prob... The belt tension is governed by the position of the alternator, on an 1108 Engine, its held in by two bolts- accessible from behind the Drivers side Wheelarch protection plate (plastic bit). Just undo those two bolts and play with the alternator until the belt is in tension.

Corect tension is about 10mm deflection in the belt with a moderate thumb pressure at the midpoint of the longest run!

Tom (AofB)

I'm having the problem that when I slow down for traffic lights, etc. my engine dies. It's only every so often and only when I'm driving with the lights on. I think i have a loose battery connectiong because tightening it the other day has improved the problem. could try that for nothing

Sie
Black 96P Cinq Sporting
OMP Strut Brace, GSR F1i Induction, Pioneer ICE
routebanner.gif

-Bumped-

Tested my connections today...

All earth straps present and correct and tight as...
Battery connections fine, but need smearing with vaseline, but still, tight as....

Its looking more and more like the belt..

Tom (AofB)

GrpN Catback Exhaust system on...rattles like f**k, but very nice!!!

Back