Technical Alternator Belt

Currently reading:
Technical Alternator Belt

peaster2k

Established member
I was driving back from uni today as i dropped it into 4th gear i heard this funny noise coming from engine. So i put my hazards on and turned off at the next roundabout and into a car park. Once i had parked up i discovered that my Alternator Belt had came off altogether and the only thing holding it on was the RPM sensor. After ringing Brian and my ad i went on a search into Aldi for a pair of sissors, to my dissappointed i did not find any. I had to resort to asking a lorry driver for a hand, he lent me his knife and i got the belt free (which seemed to be in a right state), and then i was able to drive home. I has a belt on order from Fiat and then when i get it me and Brian are going to have a go at changing it.

I was wondering has anyone changed the Alternator Belt? Any advice would be greatfully recieved?

Lucky it didn't bust the tdc sensor! Simple enough job, lower part of arch liner needs taking off then it's just 2 bolts to slacken and pivot the alternator in. You may have to take the tdc sensor off to fit the belt over the crank pulley though.

Pete aka fixit.

i finally got round to taking some pics of the belt that was on my cinq. I had to cut the belt to get it off, but other than that the belt is as it came off the car.

Attachments

• P1010006.jpg
    P1010006.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 18
  • P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 15
Mine did something similar at an indicated 112 mph, absolutely flat out then got a flapping noise - thought 'oi oi, we've killed the poor bugger' but turned out to be just that. Cut loose bits off (and by god the engine was hot...) and carried on home!

my mate's did that. came completely off! was funny watching his 106 Rallye just die :D

Back