General alternative earth position

Currently reading:
General alternative earth position

Braided earth straps for the x250 were discussed in many threads on the "outandaboutlive" forum some years ago. If you search on that forum, you could filter the results by quoting "aandncaravanservices" as the author. The now deceased Allan Evans mentions the use of braid.
Any main earth strap must be capable of carrying the starter motor current
I'm not familiar with the x250 radiator mounting, so unable to assess its suitability as a chassis earth point. The chassis earth point should preferably be direct to the main body or chassis of the vehicle. Avoid any intermediate bolted connections, such as a bolted cross member.
Earthing should be to bare metal, free from corrosion, to avoid which it is a good idea to apply a smear of thick grease, or vaseline, before assembly. Also do not use solder on bolted surfaces. The solder flows under pressure, and over time the connection becomes loose, and causes problems.

@Communicator
thanks for your help
the top of the rad mounting is a bolted crossmember,
I was thinking bottom of rariator. Top less likely to corrosion, but would need need removal of any paint as generally suggested for any earth point. Cross member to vehicle body has several bolts so more parallel paths.

As a footnote, I remember Allan Evans suggesting a dedicated alternator earth lead to chassis or battery negative? This was to avoid the multiple connections, alternator to mounting bracket, bracket to engine block, engine to chassis etc. This was in attempt to improve charging of MH habitation batteries.

Back