General Alternater Problem HELP Please

Currently reading:
General Alternater Problem HELP Please

Hello All
PLEASE can anyone advise me about this problem, the warning lamp is constantly on showing a BATTERY in RED on my PUNTO 1.2S 1998 model.

Obvious reaction is ALTERNATER failed but has it, my first test was to put a multi meter accross the battery with the engine OFF, meter reads 12.53 volts ... started engine same test at idle speed meter reads 12.08 volts.

I would have thought even at idle speed a small rise in voltage should be shown ... am I thinking correctly here ?

Have read older posts saying possible REGULATER fault, not sure if the REGULATER is inside or fitted to the ALTERNATER itself.

Have visually checked lead to battery these are securly fitted have pulled/pushed etc to see if there loose but appear o.k.

Any infos/tests I can do would be appreciated

Hi mate,

Yes the light is on as the alternator is not functioning correctly. With the engine running you would expect to see around 14v across the battery terminal.

As to what is wrong with the alternator, there are several things that it could be. One of which is the regulator (as you quite rightly say) The regulator is bolted on to the back of the alternator. It could also be the brushes have gone. You can buy a service ki for the alternator that includes a new regulator and brushes for around £20, but often its quicker and esier just to buy a second hand alternator from a scrappy or similar.

Was the aux drive belt (alternator bet) intact and sufficiently tight?
I would also suggest putting your multimeter directly onto the terminals of the alternator to check ther eis no wiring fault in between.
I would also suggest disconnecting the small wire D+ and cleaning the connection and then putting it back and testing again.

Alan

Last edited:
Hi Alan

Thanks for the reply, yes the belt looks in good nick its a multi grove type (I dont know the correct name ) the tension is good and the pully rotates o.k.

One thing I have had and forgot to mention was over past 18 months on & off there has been a wineing sound, not a screeching sound like bely slip but a wineing sound only lasts matter of 15 to 20 seconds as I press the accelerater pedal then it goes away may not occur for couple of months again.

So maybe it was a warning !!! Are the refurbished alternaters a good buy ? I had a quote from a MAIN FIAT dealer for £256.00 to fit an alternater that seems very high, not even sure if thats a new one or a recon.

Just want to be sure I really do need a ALTERNATER before spending out, garages will tell you anything these days, I could do it myself but am a little old and not so good at twisting at all angles.

Thanks, Peter.

Hello

Please can anyone let me know if there a PUNTO spares section on the forum as I will need to get an alternater for a PUNTO 1.2S Manual, no a/c.

Thanks Peter.

Hello again mate

Click HERE and you can get one for around £20. £256 would be for a brand new unit (not on exchange) plus labour. To be honest, its not worth spending that sort of money, as there are lots of people about who would fit one like FIRE sporting for Hakf hours labor or so.

Alan

Hi
Had a good look at the alternater today looks like only two nut/bolts to undo, one being the tension set slot (hope I am correct)

How easy does the wireing connectors come of the regulater are they bolted/screwed on ??? as I cant see from just looking.

If I get a recon alternater unit does it have the regulater & pulley fitted ? or just the regulater, reason I ask is by any chance its the regulater at fault I would like to change both at the same time.

The link I clicked on took me to Ebay but had no info on it !!!

If you buy a recon'd alternator from somewhere (Halfords etc.) you get the regulator with it, so don't worry about it.

Unbolt the two bolts (one fixed hole, one slotted) and slip the belt off. The beast will then just fall out.

Fit the new one.. No new pulleys or anything required. You may want to fit a new belt if yours looks dry or hardened.

The £250 alternator is a new one but the only things that wear out are the bushes and the regulator. A recon'd alternator has old windings and rotor but new bushes and regulator.. about £120 for an effectively "new" alternator, so don't buy a new, new one.

Second-hand will be £20+ but you may get one with a dodgy regulator.. so you take your chances..

Ralf S.

Hi Ralf S.
Thanks for the reply, buying from a breakers seems to be more luck if it works.

Are the connections on the regulater easy to fit the cables too ??? as I cant see the back of the regulater.

Alternater Mart.co.uk seem o.k., as I telephoned them again there not cheap but compared to dealership prices they seem reasonable.

Buying cheap you can get burnt but who knows !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Peter.

fitting an alternator is a doddle of a job even for a novice;)....a good start for you would be a Haynes manual, wont tell you everything but its a good start. as said by others sourcing a unit is your choice. if your on a budget go on to eBay punto/parts always something on there.....just a thought & a wee tip, if your planning sounds for your pride & joy this would be the time to fit a higher cranking alternator............best of luck(y)

Back