Alloy Wheels, Insurance Prices?

Currently reading:
Alloy Wheels, Insurance Prices?

RyanMoffitt

Ive just payed for a set of new alloy wheels (Fox FX004 White) for my 1.2 GP (should be arriving thursday) and was wondering when fitted will i need to inform my insurance company, and if i do does it normally increase your insurance price?

Ive just payed for a set of new alloy wheels (Fox FX004 White) ...

You need to ask yourself - what is the purpose of insurance?

If you change steel wheels for alloy & then you lose them (by theft or accident), then presumably you’ll want to recover the value??

I changed my alloys from the standard 15" 500 sport alloys, to the 16" standard 500 Abarth alloys. Should I tell my insurance company? And should it be detailed as "alloys - non standard" or "alloys - optional extra'? Anybody?

It never ceases to amaze me how often questions like this are asked in here :bang:

So for the benefit of those who lack the abilty to identify where the best place is to get an accurate answer on issues such as this I have compiled an easy to follow 4 step guide.

1) Pick up the phone
2) Ring your insurance company
3) Now comes what seems to be the difficult part to most people.........ASK THEM THE QUESTION!
4) Listen to the answer.

I can assure you that this is a tried and tested procedure and it never fails to work (y)

See it from your insurer's point of view.

They are in business to make money, any accident is going to be costly. If they can get out of paying - they will, so they will see any undeclared mod as an excuse.

Even something as simple as chucking in a set of HIDs might give them a loophole if the other driver was at fault but declared that your lights blinded him.

Bigger alloys.

Insurance companys just love it when you claim them for something you claim you informed them about, so phone them & let them inform you by letter, as well.

I told my insurance company (Esure) that my Mk1 Punto came with alloys (Gt2 one`s) & they informed me to fit PROPER alloy wheel bolts (they are longer than steel wheel ones) & a good set of locking bolts too & to tell them when I had completed the job to get the job checked by my local MOT centre then send them the report.

Job done (well Eight years ago) covered & no extra cash parted company.

They told me that there`s too many young idiots driving around with shorter steel wheel bolts/nuts & no locking bolts/nut`s nor alarm fitted to their customized training shoe with wheels, that now they have to (By law) inform you what to do if you car didn`t come with alloys as standard. :bang:

Last edited:
:D

(To get answers)

Answers?? You wont get answers, all you will get is opinions and surreal comments. Only YOUR insurance company will be able to give you answers.

An example:

Q) I have fitted some new alloys to my GP, how much more will my insurance go up by?

A) "My mates girlfriends brothers neighbour fitted Calibra alloys to his £1500Vectra, his premium went up by £98.80. He is a binman and lives in the middle of Toxteth. I fink Vectras are big cars so it should only cost about £60 if you bang em onto a £5000 Grande cos they are smaller and you work for Tesco in Huddersfield and dont live in Toxteth. Might even be less than £60 if they are propa` Fiat jobbies off another Grande........Or just dont tell the insurance company you have fitted them and take them off nifty like if you have an accident" (y)

An interesting and well meaning anecdote to some perhaps, but in reality devoid of factual information and totaly irrelevent to the question in hand.

Answers?? You wont get answers, all you will get is opinions and surreal comments. Only YOUR insurance company will be able to give you answers.

An example:

Q) I have fitted some new alloys to my GP, how much more will my insurance go up by?

A) "My mates girlfriends brothers neighbour fitted Calibra alloys to his £1500Vectra, his premium went up by £98.80. He is a binman and lives in the middle of Toxteth. I fink Vectras are big cars so it should only cost about £60 if you bang em onto a £5000 Grande cos they are smaller and you work for Tesco in Huddersfield and dont live in Toxteth. Might even be less than £60 if they are propa` Fiat jobbies off another Grande........Or just dont tell the insurance company you have fitted them and take them off nifty like if you have an accident" (y)

An interesting and well meaning anecdote to some perhaps, but in reality devoid of factual information and totaly irrelevent to the question in hand.

Agreed. And a point well made. But none the less, my point still remains... people ask to get answers.

Agreed. And a point well made. But none the less, my point still remains... people ask to get answers.

But if they searched...or used common sense...everyone knows that if you are going to add mods to your car you need to tell your insurance company.

So your claim is to get answers?

Well lets take this question of yours as an example. My question to you based on it is....Do you seriously believe ANYBODY in here can give you a definative answer to it, furthermore would you accept any answer given in here as gospel?

I changed my alloys from the standard 15" 500 sport alloys, to the 16" standard 500 Abarth alloys. Should I tell my insurance company? And should it be detailed as "alloys - non standard" or "alloys - optional extra'? Anybody?

My advice would be...Yes, tell your insurance company everything and let them decide how to classify your alloys because at the end of the day they are calling the shots and you have to play by their rules.

Now lets forget about everyone else who has asked a similar question in the past and instead focus on the fact YOU have......

Are you telling me that you are incapable of concluding for yourself that a conversation with your insurer is the best course of action in your situation?

So your claim is to get answers?
Yeah...
Well lets take this question of yours as an example. My question to you based on it is....Do you seriously believe ANYBODY in here can give you a definative answer to it, furthermore would you accept any answer given in here as gospel?
Okay, so maybe it was meant as less of a question. More of a point that car insurance can be confusing and partly uncertain; its been said before that even people on the insurer's end of the phone have not been able to give reasons for some situations. And tbh, i do seriously believe that someone in here can give me a definitive answer.

My advice would be...Yes, tell your insurance company everything and let them decide how to classify your alloys because at the end of the day they are calling the shots and you have to play by their rules.
Thanks for your advice. ;)

Now lets forget about everyone else who has asked a similar question in the past and instead focus on the fact YOU have......
I shouldn't have added the "Should I tell my insurance company?" bit. Because I'm aware you should, so can't say why I put that.

Are you telling me that you are incapable of concluding for yourself that a conversation with your insurer is the best course of action in your situation?
No that's not what I'm saying, I agreed with you previously...

Back