alloy cleaner

Currently reading:
alloy cleaner

does anyone know a good non acidic alloy spray cleaner? one you just spray on and wash off. i bought some meguiars stuff, sprayed it on, left for 15 seconds, and it did absolutley nothing. it worked when i agitated it with a brush but the whole point of the buyin a spray was so i wouldn't have to do that. http://www.meguiars.com/?wheel-care/Hot-Rims-All-Wheel-Cleaner

also it was supposed to be "xtreme clinging foam" ... most of it just slides off the wheel onto the floor...

thanks

i use supaguard alloy wheel cleaner, but again you have to agitate with a brush before it will do anything.

i use supaguard alloy wheel cleaner, but again you have to agitate with a brush before it will do anything.
As in "agitate with brush spraying self with black blobs and dots that will NEVER wash out of your clothes" :yuck:

Yes, I'd be interested to find an alloy wheel cleaner that just ate through the black muck without my personal interference. Then just wash off with hose.

Yes I know the problem - that's why nearly all the time I have a go at them with the "Karcher power pressure" machine - they're getting so cheap now and they remove the worst dirt on the wheels......you've still got to use a Meguiars wheel brush, Fairy liquid and agitate but it's so much quicker and cleaner and you don't get covered and 'flicked' with black crap....and yes I've stopped using wheel cleaner and use Fairy liquid it's nearly as powerful and loads cheaper!

I use Mer on mine and works a treat. Finish off with some Turtle Wax Brake Dust Barrier and make sure you wash them every week with a lambs-woll mitt and they'll stay nice.

i know is not car cleaner but i found that Muc-off cuts through pretty much anything. can get it from halfords etc fromt he bike department

Maybe give them a good cleaning with a hardcore cleaner and polish, then apply an alloy wheel wax/protector and in the future you should be able to clean with normal car shampoo. For the worst marks a polish will help remove and then apply your protectant after cleaning.

I've been using Cillit Bang - this dissolves everything including aliens and small children!

muc off or Hope **** Sh1fter work wonders on most things.

just don't leave them on a long time as they are known to eat anodized parts so would do the same to car paint/wheel finishs

as for cleaning wheels, I use pound shop wheel wipes (do great at removing large tar spots) then use some used clay (after doing rest of car) to clean the wheel up properly, then I'll use a syntetic paint sealer to seal the wheel, then wax it.

maybe takes an hour to do all 4. and you only have to do it once a year/2yrs?

does anyone know a good non acidic alloy spray cleaner? one you just spray on and wash off. i bought some meguiars stuff, sprayed it on, left for 15 seconds, and it did absolutley nothing. it worked when i agitated it with a brush but the whole point of the buyin a spray was so i wouldn't have to do that. http://www.meguiars.com/?wheel-care/Hot-Rims-All-Wheel-Cleaner

also it was supposed to be "xtreme clinging foam" ... most of it just slides off the wheel onto the floor...

sounds like you've learnt some very important life lessons here:
-nothing does what it says on the tin
-there is no alternative to a bit of elbow grease

the best ive ever used is BMW wheel cleaner gel, spray it on, leave it a few minutes to eat in to the brake dust, pressure wash off, no hard work at all, if you dont have a jet washer, take the car to a carwash with 1 and just do the rims. the best thing about the BMW stuff is that its cheap at 4.90 a bottle and completely non acidic, leave a nice shine and its a brake dust barrier too if you re-apply.

as for cleaning wheels, I use pound shop wheel wipes (do great at removing large tar spots) then use some used clay (after doing rest of car) to clean the wheel up properly, then I'll use a syntetic paint sealer to seal the wheel, then wax it.

maybe takes an hour to do all 4. and you only have to do it once a year/2yrs?

the alloysd stay clean for up to a year!? thats impressive, whats the synthetic paint sealer you use? is it a spray? thanks

LOL, doesn't keep em CLEAN for a year, but means no/next to no tar spots/dirt/stones get imbedded in the finish for a year or so.

also cleaning them is MUCH easier after you've synth sealed them (Choose any, dont' bother with specific wheel ones if you already have paint sealant) you just rinse like normal, run a brush round em, rinse off. no constant clean/rub/damn still dirty/clean rub etc etc.:rolleyes:

should have done a before pic for what i've just done to the spare punto alloys (watch the classifieds) they were scratched to hell, tarnished, and had lines of dried brake dust from abou 10yrs ago on them. took me literally 3hours of scrubbing/abrasives to get it all off. then i polished them, and sealed them. and the difference is ridiculous :yum:

LOL, doesn't keep em CLEAN for a year, but means no/next to no tar spots/dirt/stones get imbedded in the finish for a year or so.

lol i thought that was too good to be true. it always annoys me because once ive cleaned my alloys, an hours drive later there is a fine layer of break dust all over it. i just think to myself what is the point! lol

lol i thought that was too good to be true. it always annoys me because once ive cleaned my alloys, an hours drive later there is a fine layer of break dust all over it. i just think to myself what is the point! lol

exactly my thoughts when i clean my car even though mine are only trims at the moment but they drive me mad once they have ton's of brake dust over them!! but there is nothing better than a sparkling set of wheels even if it is only for 5 minutes lol!!

Back