General All 500 owners in USA, report in

Currently reading:
General All 500 owners in USA, report in

Does anybody in the states have an extra carby laying around they’d like to sell me the cover of? Center stud stripped out of mine and JB-Weld isn’t holding so far.

Attachments

• 778535FB-8D21-4141-91BF-AC3C35A37CDF.jpeg
    778535FB-8D21-4141-91BF-AC3C35A37CDF.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 49
Does anybody in the states have an extra carby laying around they’d like to sell me the cover of? Center stud stripped out of mine and JB-Weld isn’t holding so far.

Have you tried a helicoil repair? I've had JB weld give way on the carb as well, but a helicoil will hold fast.

If not, I have a spare 26IMB, but honestly, I would helicoil it before using it myself.

Hello, everyone. I have had Luigi (1971 Fiat 500) for a few years. I bought him in Italy while stationed there and now my friend in southern VA is car-sitting for me. I had "a shop" (won't name names) put a rebuilt 650cc in the car because driving a double clutch had its perks, but more drawbacks. Anyway, they did a crappy job, to say the least. I need to have the engine rebuilt, but don't know where to go/look. I do have access to purchase a "new" rebuilt engine if needed. Where can I take my car to someone that is trusted? I can trailer him, but since my friend would be hauling, I don't want to go too far.

Thanks for all the help. I look forward to great tips and learning more about my car!

I would post a picture, but apparently technology has the better of me!

Last edited:
I wish I did but finding a good machine shop is a challenge these days. I rebuilt my own last time but that was in Italy and I had a local machine shop to handle the crank, bores, and block, the rest was pretty basic. Here in the States I've literally spent a couple of days trying to find one that would machine a basic Chevy 350 and ended up tracking down an ol'timer that does it out of his garage shop in Culpeper but he won't do a Fiat rebuild, just machining.

As it happens and if you're interested, I have an extra Fiat 500 long block engine that was freshly rebuilt that I brought back from Naples...but it's a 500 (not a 650). So long story short, I can't recommend any shops in the area. You may want to call one of the more reputable race engine shops like SonnysRacingEngines.com in Lynchburg VA to see if they'd be willing to try a rebuild?

Hope this helps.

Good morning. I have an extra carb laying around that I'll sell you. Send me a phone or email and I'll send some pics to see if you're interested.

Just a thought for you lads on the other side of "The big pond"--have a word with a motor-bike shop.The 500/126 engine is more like a bike engine than most car engines. They will be used to machining individual barrels (as against large crank-cases). Even over here, i have had to find a local engine-shop that also does bikes; reccomended to me by our local "Aqua-blaster" who's 2nd buiness is restoring classic bikes.
If you can lay your hands on a '500' crank-case, they can be bored out to accept '650' barrels (but NO bigger)---barrels,pistons,rings,gaskets etc are all easily sourced from a number of European suppliers who will ship to the 'States'

Good morning. I have an extra carb laying around that I'll sell you. Send me a phone or email and I'll send some pics to see if you're interested.

Thanks, sent you a PM.

While we're on the subject, what's required to upgrade to a 28IMB on the old 499 110F engine? Just new carb and spacer?

Hello to the classic 500 group. I've recently come by a Giannini replica here in our shop. Have to admit its grown on me. Setting about righting the past ills of unsympathetic mechanics , experts and the ever present DPO ( dreaded previous owner) . We work on classic motorcycles as well as cars so these seem to be a bit of both aside from finding the good suppliers from the not so good these little cars are a joy to work on. Many thanks to all the knowledgeable contributors here on these pages , its a wealth of information and inspiration. I have so many questions and usually find an answer or at least a direction to pursue in way of an answer. Looking forward to making her sorted and roadworthy once more . Dennis

Welcome to the Forum Dennis--where about in the US of A are you? It always helps to know where Forum members are as they can then often work as a support team to the less experienced/skilled. Working in a shop that restores classic bikes will be a real asset tomembers on your side of the 'big pond' as the 500/126 engine is, in many ways, more akin to a bike engine than to a car engine
Look after that Giannini, especially if it a genuine model. Giannini were a comtemporary of, and one of Abarth's main competitiors, and in someways, better engine tuners (and I am a BIG Abarth fan). Sadly, they never had the massive financial support that Fiat gave Abarth, but this has turned out to be an advantage. Fiat are working hard at protecting their marques at the moment (Abarth, Lancia and Alfa Romeo) in Italy these days and think nothing of shutting down companies that they think are selling spurious parts---but they can't touch Giannini. When I was at a "Raduno"in Italy a couple of years ago I was surprise as to how many replica Gianninis there were at the meet--easily the same number as replica Abarth

Welcome to the Forum Dennis--where about in the US of A are you? It always helps to know where Forum members are as they can then often work as a support team to the less experienced/skilled. Working in a shop that restores classic bikes will be a real asset tomembers on your side of the 'big pond' as the 500/126 engine is, in many ways, more akin to a bike engine than to a car engine
Look after that Giannini, especially if it a genuine model. Giannini were a comtemporary of, and one of Abarth's main competitiors, and in someways, better engine tuners (and I am a BIG Abarth fan). Sadly, they never had the massive financial support that Fiat gave Abarth, but this has turned out to be an advantage. Fiat are working hard at protecting their marques at the moment (Abarth, Lancia and Alfa Romeo) in Italy these days and think nothing of shutting down companies that they think are selling spurious parts---but they can't touch Giannini. When I was at a "Raduno"in Italy a couple of years ago I was surprise as to how many replica Gianninis there were at the meet--easily the same number as replica Abarth
Thank you for the welcome , much appreciated. I am located in San Francisco California. Already diving in on a few mods ( I can't really help myself) . Have been comparing some of our machine shop tooling to see just how close some of the fixtures are ... seems to fit right between 60s era brit twins and 70s Moto Guzzis, so looks like we can do all but the crank in house. Sent off the crank to "our guy" to see if it fits his grinder a balancer as this is the only equipment we don't have ... and don't really want truth be known its an ugly dirty job when it comes down to it. Again appreciate the welcome and I hope I dont wear out my welcome with oh so many obvious questions . Best DK

Reporting in from Plano, Texas (just north of Dallas) with my 1969 500L. First Italian car, first air-cooled car. Anybody else in the Dallas areas?

Attachments

• 2C01D710-FEBD-4C95-AECB-0768FDA0454F.jpeg
    2C01D710-FEBD-4C95-AECB-0768FDA0454F.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 34
Welcome to the Forum Yovinny,; we are here to help each other not, as some forums seem to delight in, taking the mickey out of the less informed/skilled. We have members with cars that range from absolutely standard to "well" tuned! If you can meet up with other owners in your area, so much the better---if only for a 'chat 'n coffee' or 'hold your hand' when you have a problem.

Reporting in from Plano, Texas (just north of Dallas) with my 1969 500L. First Italian car, first air-cooled car. Anybody else in the Dallas areas?

Welcome aboard Vinny! I’m in metro NY. I have a “Lusso” too. Most here are in the UK, but this board is hugely helpful with thoughts and tips. Good luck!

Attachments

• 00DE73BD-40D8-41E5-89FE-F6C7BD5B464F.jpeg
    00DE73BD-40D8-41E5-89FE-F6C7BD5B464F.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 38
US Members: Anyone planning on going to the "Fiat Club America's 2021 Fiat Freakout" this year? June 23-27 in Lancaster, PA?

Event Link

I've never been to any Fiat Club America events and was debating joining/attending if the COVID situation supports it and was looking for opinions on the event.

Back